Chapter 3: Turmoil

"Hey! You guys, it's time to cut the cake!" Takun shouted, running over to the three girls his hand waving in the air.

The girls turned their attention to Takun all giggling in excitement, "Chocolate again, right?" Sana asked Hisako as they ran towards Takun.

Takun took Hisako's hand to bring her to the table.

"Of course!" Hisako replied to Sana.

When they got to the table, the blue cake decorated with the Fuyu Clan symbol was placed in front of Hisako with six candles burning. Sana sat to Hisako's right and Takun to Hisako's left. Kei was sitting further down the table with his arms crossed over his chest his gaze distant and disinterested. The parents all stood around the table as her Mother lead the party in singing Happy Birthday.

The lyrics seemed more haunting than normal, and it felt like a farewell more than a celebratory occasion. As Hisako stared at the faces of her friends, and their parents, a large smile on her face, black snow began to fall from the Heavens. At first, no one noticed. As the lyrics faded, Hisako took in a deep breath and blew out her candles. Everyone cheered, but it sounded far off, distant. Like they were all in another area of the village, cheering through a pipe.

Hisako saw the glint of a knife glimmer in the light behind her. Her green eyes turned as she saw the blade come down on Sana. She felt the warmth of her blood stain her face. Her smile immediately faded as Sana's own Mother removed the knife that she just impaled into her own daughter and Sana fell to the ground, a pool of blood forming around her.

Hisako's eyes were wide with horror, and she wasn't sure she was breathing. She didn't even realize Sana's Mother was bringing the blade down on Hisako. Takun reacted quicker. He grabbed Hisako's waist and threw her back off the bench. At the same time, her mother lunged and disarmed Sana's Mother. But, the chaos had already begun.

Her other friends screamed, and she didn't have time to look as her Father picked her up off the cold floor.

"Hana! It's a Genjutsu, this must be an attack on the village, we have to retreat and regroup with the other Shinobi!"

"Kanna! What have you just-" her mother was screaming at Sana's Mother, but it was too late.

Another parent at the party had already killed Kanna too. Hisako hadn't realized it until now, but, the snow surrounding her table had turned red with blood. Horror gripped her heart as she realized that in just a few heartbeats, her friends were all dead, and so were most of the parents. They had all killed each other.

"Hana! It's too late for them! We must protect the children!" her father pleaded.

Hisako's mother finally listened, "Ashren, gather your sons, we must leave immediately!" she ordered her sister.

Aunt Ashren grabbed Kei and Takun and they ran for a nearby room. While they were making their way to the room, however, the entrance to the clan's estate exploded open and Shinobi that were made of mist and shadow and darkness stormed into the estate.

"It's the Yami Clan!" Aunt Ashren shouted, "They must be the one's behind this attack!"

"This is the worst possible outcome," her mother proclaimed as they practically threw themselves into the room.

Her father grabbed a floorboard and pulled it open. At some point, he had given Hisako and Hana to their mother.

"Everyone, get inside!" he ordered, his eyes were red with three black tomoe marking his inheritance as an Uchiha as he stood guard over the hole in the floor.

Somewhere in this chaos, however, Hisako's vision began to blur. Tears streamed down her cheeks and she couldn't quite process everything she was seeing. Everything seemed sharper, seemed to move slower. She couldn't comprehend what was transpiring.