Chapter 26: Calm Before the Storm

A large torrent of water swallowed up the abandoned town, destroying dozens of houses and shops and swept them away in a loud roar. The sounds of explosions echoed off the rocks that surrounded the small town. Lightning flashed overhead, and thunder boomed throughout the canyon. Trees swayed and groaned and some of them fell victim to the waves that destroyed everything in their path. Animals fled the surrounding forests, attempting to run fast enough away from the incoming tsunami.

Hisako was just grateful that they had evacuated the villagers in time before their town was destroyed.

"This is not looking good," Hisako shouted over the roar of the waves as she landed on a large rock, barely avoiding another deadly lightning bolt.

"When they mentioned an Elemental Staff, for some reason, this isn't what I had in mind!" Lee yelled as the wind ripped at his black hair.

"We just have to get that staff away from him, then we'll just have to deal with him!" Neji shouted, "Hisako, Lee, let's try going at him altogether, one more time,"

"Right!"

They all lowered their stances, preparing to attack this guy one more time.

One Week Earlier

One Week Earlier

"With the Power of Youth, I shall master this tree climbing as well!" Lee shouted before letting out a loud yell as he concentrated his chakra into the soles of his feet, dropping down to prepare for another attempt to climb up the tree with only his feet.

Hisako stood upside down on a high branch, her chakra keeping her glued to the branch as she looked down at Lee, "don't feel bad, Lee. It took me months to understand how to do this. Kakashi Sensei and I took a long time with this training. I'm still working on the whole walking on water aspect," Hisako said.

A moment later, Lee was running up the tree again screaming with a kunai knife in hand. He got about twenty feet up the tree before he let out too much chakra bark exploding under his foot. He sliced a line through the trunk of the tree adding to his already numerous scratches in the tree marking his previous attempts before flipping down to the Earth once again. Hisako let out a small smile. He's been at it all day, and she could see by the lines slowly creeping up the tree that Lee's been slowly making progress and she was happy for him.

Neji, on the other hand, saw Hisako and Guy Sensei do it and was immediately able to duplicate what they had done. On top of having expert chakra control with being a Hyuga, he was a genius after all. Even if he didn't have the Sharingan, it seemed like he was able to copy most chakra based jutsus he saw. He sat on a branch higher than where Hisako was, watching Lee attempt the tree climbing again.

Hisako sighed and jumped down from the tree, walking over to the river they were by. She turned her gaze up to Neji, giving him a small smile, "wanna join me?" she asked.

Neji jumped down from the tree, and together, they stood at the edge of the river, their eyes closed as they concentrated their chakra into their feet.