Chapter 33: Questions of the Heart

Hisako was glad for this mission to be over. Between the almost drowning, the little to no sleep out on the deck, and the horrible food that they were served, she would be glad to see this mission set behind them. Neji and she stood towards the back of the group as Guy Sensei and Lee said their goodbyes to their employer.

"Don't forget, once I get better you'll teach me how to be a ninja!" Haru yelled, waving to Lee as Lee and Guy Sensei turned to leave.

Lee looked over his shoulder, returning Haru's wave, "Don't worry! With my help and the Power of Youth, you'll become the strongest ninja ever!" Lee assured him.

This display had Neji mumble something unintelligible under his breath and Hisako had a nervous smile on her face.

"Are we ready to go?" Hisako asked as Guy Sensei and Lee walked over to them.

"Yes! We shall make haste back to the village so we can prepare for the Chuunin Exams!" Guy Sensei exclaimed, turning to face the river again pointing to a much smaller riverboat that was supposed to be taking them back to the nearest riverport to the Leaf Village.

Six hours later, Hisako was sitting on a barrel on the small boat, lying her head and arms on the railing as the riverboat slowly crept back upstream

Six hours later, Hisako was sitting on a barrel on the small boat, lying her head and arms on the railing as the riverboat slowly crept back upstream. The hot sun felt like it was trying to roast her alive as they sat out on the deck lounging around haphazardly. For some reason, going back felt like it was taking longer than getting there.

"Make haste, huh?" Hisako grumbled to herself letting out a long sigh.

"Sorry guys, since we're going upstream, it'll take longer to get you to the port you're needing. Hope you don't mind," the captain of the boat told them, walking over to the team of shinobi.

Their attention went to the captain and they all stared at him with blank, bored expressions at that news. Hisako wanted to scream. Longer? How much longer are they talking? At least they get a bed this time around. Well, they just get one bed. That they have to share. So, they decided to all take turns using said bed while the others get to sleep either on the deck or on the floor of the single tiny bedroom on the riverboat. But, the food wasn't much better.

Lee was the first to bounce back from the news that it was going to take longer to get back and jumped to his feet.

"Why wait till we get back to the Leaf Village to start preparing for the exams? I shall start now!" Lee yelled, pointing up at the sky.

"Huh?" Hisako muttered.

She watched Lee drop himself back down onto the deck in a pushup position and he started counting the pushups he was doing at blinding speeds.

"Great idea Lee! I shall join you!" Guy Sensei yelled, dropping down to do the same.

Hisako groaned, rubbing her face with her hands, and went back to the railing looking back over the river again to the trees lining the river as she thought back to her fight with that one guy who had the katana that he infused with his chakra. She was completely pathetic, and useless in that fight. In fact, it almost cost her her life.