Chapter 19: Graduation Day

"Hi, Mom."

A gentle breeze blew past Hisako tossing up her hair as she sat at the base of the Glacier Village's memorial site. The Fuyu Blossom bouquet she always had for the anniversary shimmered in the bright light of the Leaf Village. The day was warm and joyful and even though today was a day full of sad memories, Hisako couldn't help but have a small smile on her face.

"It's been five years already. I'm eleven now," Hisako started, her voice quiet, "my training with Lord Hokage and Kakashi Sensei is going well. I'm becoming stronger and stronger every day, just like you always wanted. I'm even graduating from the Academy tomorrow. I'm so excited to see what team I get placed on! I heard from the instructors that I've been considered a prodigy. That's all you ever wanted from me right?

"Dad, I see why you loved the Leaf Village so much. This village it's, well, it's beautiful and breathtaking. And once you get to know people here, they're super nice and sweet. Lord Hokage is amazing, and I've made so many friends here. I think you would be proud of how far the Leaf Village has come.

"I miss you, Hana. I wonder what you would look like if you were alive today. I'm sure you would be a splendid second year academy student right now. Oh, Takun, there's a kid in my class, Lee, I think I've told you about him, but, I think you would like him. He's high spirited like you. He always talks about the Power of Youth, whatever that means, but it seems to give him strength. I wish you could meet him."

Hisako let out a long sigh, her gaze dropping and her voice grew even quieter, "I also have become good friends with a Hyuga boy named Neji. We train and spar together often. We know each other's strengths and weaknesses so well. But, he has a darkness in his heart as well. In a way, he sort of reminds me of you, Kei. He has a disdain for the Hyuga Head Family, and while I can understand why, his hatred is so reminiscent of your feelings towards me.

"You were not saved from your hatred of me. You died hating the Head Family, and for that, I am truly sorry. I just hope that somehow, Neji can be relieved from his hatred. I hate to see him have to carry that burden on his shoulders. But, I fear that I cannot help people how I want. I have been unable to help Sasuke with his hatred, pain, and rage. Maybe I am unable to help Neji as well."

Hisako wiped at the tears that streamed down her cheeks. Even though she was trying to be happy, it was hard. Every year it was the same. Every year these memories that she spent so long trying to repress came flooding her mind again. It was a yearly occurrence. The nightmares, the terror, the emotions. She hated it all. And every year, without fail, she came here to pay respects to the fallen.

She stood up, grabbing the single red rose she always placed at the base of the Uchiha Memorial, "I miss all of you," Hisako whispered, "wherever you are, I hope you're resting in peace,"

With a heavy heart, she turned from the memorial and walked down another path. A few minutes later, she came to stand in front of the Uchiha Memorial with the symbol of the red fan above it. Names of the fallen were etched into the black stone and Hisako placed the red rose in front of the memorial, taking a step back to admire the stone.

"I wonder what you would have told me if you had lived, Aunt Mikoto," Hisako whispered, her hand going to grab onto her crystal necklace.

She didn't want to admit it, but she frequently had questions about her deceased Aunt, about what stories she had about her father, and what she could have learned from her about her parents. Aunt Mikoto's stories were now mysteries that could never be answered, and that pained Hisako more than she wanted to admit.

"Rest in peace, Aunt Mikoto,"

Without saying another word, Hisako turned her back to the Uchiha Memorial and began walking out of the cemetery. It was quiet other than the birds chirping. Squirrels ran up and down the nearby trees, chatting and chittering amongst themselves unaware of the melancholy aura that hung over the cemetery like a thick smog. A woman and two small children stood in front of a headstone, and Hisako looked away. It was too painful, watching them cry to their lost loved one.