XIX. Exhuming Wounds

The Fawn: There... That should do it.

Virno is laying on an operating table. His torso is stitched up, where his ribs are.

The Leopard: Thank you, Fawn...

The Fawn: It's fine. Now, we must bandage him up and get him out of here. He can't stay for long, especially in his debilitated state... You know what happens to those who come to the headquarters without protection.

The Leopard nods.

The Leopard: Don't worry, I'll get him home soon...

Before he starts bandaging him up, someone else enters the lab. The Fawn freezes up when they see them.

The Fawn: Lion...

The Leopard exhales a silent sigh before turning around to face him.

The Lion: LEOPARD! Explain yourself this instant.

Behind the Lion, several masked members peeked from the outside in, through the open doors. With a hand gesture, the Lion quickly shuts them, preventing the onlookers from seeing or hearing what was happening.

The Leopard: Von Virtus was injured... Critically. Had I not brought him here, he would have surely died.

The Lion walks over to the operation table, to inspect Virno.

The Lion: So... This is to be the future bearer of the sword...?

He seems... Disappointed.

The Lion: ... Unable to defend even himself. Pathetic.

The Leopard: In his defense, I have not yet begun his training. Moreover, he has no real means of fighting back... He's a swordsman without a sword, Lion.

The Lion: Hmph. What a shoddy excuse, Leopard...!

The Lion raises his right hand, gripping it tight. From the spaces between his fingers and his palm, grey energy shoots out. As he opens his hand, a grey ornate amulet is revealed. It emanated a slight magical glow.

The Lion: Make sure he wears this. At all times.

He throws the amulet into the Leopard's hands.

The Leopard: But-

The Lion shakes his head.

The Lion: Put your mind at ease. That amulet isn't powerful enough to draw unwanted attention. Much like the ring you gave your slum lord friend, it should only activate in times of real danger.

The Leopard looks at the amulet, gripping it.

The Leopard: I wouldn't go so far as to call him a friend...

The Lion: Listen to me... There will be no more excuses. Next time he injures himself, he is your responsibility. Eclipse cannot afford to bring outsiders in like this, no exceptions. It is dangerous not only for us, but for those we bring, too... You know this, do you not?

The Leopard: Of course, Lion... It won't happen again.

The Lion: Good.

The Lion prepares to leave, turning around and heading for the door.

The Lion: Make sure you begin his training at once... It would seem Nox are getting quite stirred up. Your city won't remain peaceful for long...

The Leopard dry swallows.

The Leopard: Y-yes...

The Lion opens the door, revealing a group of curious animal masks all around the sides.