IV. Velvet Drop

Virno was alone in his room, lying down on his bed face-down. His eyes were puffy and red. After a while, he hears a knock on his door. He does his best to regain some composure before answering.

 He does his best to regain some composure before answering

Virno: Come in...

The door opens, and his father Charles comes through. He closes the door behind him, and walks over to his son's bed. He takes one quick glance at his face, then sits in one of the corners of the bed.

Charles von Virtus: Come sit beside me, Virno...

The boy crawls over to his father, sitting next to him. Charles takes a deep breath, but before he could do anything else, Virno speaks.

Virno: I didn't ask for any of this, father...

Charles didn't reply, he only listened. 

Virno: Your expectations, my studies, my future wife... I don't want any of that. How is it fair, then, that I am expected to be the perfect son and perform such duties...?

Still, he said nothing.

Virno: I know what you're thinking... "Life isn't fair". Right? You're thinking that I need to "man up" and just deal with it... I think that's such bullshit, dad... Seriously. Is that really what life is about? Dealing with and worrying about things that are meaningless to you...? Isn't that so... Pointless? 

Charles von Virtus: What would you rather life be about, Virno?

He thinks for a while.

Virno: I don't really know. I mean, obviously I think it should be about the things that give it meaning... For me, I guess that would be becoming the best swordfighter in the country. But it seems like that's not a goal you can get behind, so I'm sure you won't agree with it...

Charles shakes his head.

Charles von Virtus: Son, if you are truly serious about that goal neither of us will stop you. But having a goal in life does not release you of other responsibilities...

Virno: But why not?! Why should I have to spend time doing pointless, uninteresting things...?

Charles von Virtus: Because in those pointless, uninteresting things there is always some meaningful, engrossing experience. There is always an opportunity to grow. You just need to change your perspective.

Virno: Father...!

Said Virno desperately, as if he had already heard a similar discourse time and time again before.

Charles von Virtus: And no... That is not bullshit, Virno. It truly is all about perspective.

Virno: Alright... So what "meaningful, engrossing experience" is there to be found in spending time with my future wife that I don't even want to marry, for example?