XXXII. ... Our Pact of Steel Eternal

In the dark of night, a single building lit the pitch black streets of some unknown city's corner. From its chimneys, clouds of smoke rose into endlessly tall columns that seemed to pierce the skies themselves and reach ever onwards. Inside, the air was hot and thick. Several dozen furnaces were lit on full blast, as a constant stream of armaments was produced. Not by humans, however... But by steam, mechanical contraptions. A middle-aged woman closely inspected the weapons and armor produced by the countless machines that formed an assembly line. Suddenly, a thunderous clap is heard by the entrance of the workshop. The whole building shakes.

Middle-aged woman: Dammit...!

Red lights illuminate the inside of the workshop. By the entrance stood a counter to receive the customers, out of which rose two mechanical turrets. They set their sights on the target: an elderly man who had entered through a grey portal. Through what seemed to be some voice-propagation system installed in the ceiling of the workshop, a young girl's voice could be heard, heavily fused with static.

Young girl: Stay very, very still, old man! I dunno how you got here, but if you so much as move a muscle you'll be turned into one dead, wrinkly strainer...!

The older woman rushed to the entrance as fast as she could, but it seemed she was too late. The sound of machines clattering and breaking echoed throughout the building, as cogs and wheels flew all around the place and across the floor.

Middle-aged woman: Foolish girl...

Young girl: Crap... I was sure these would work this time...!

From beneath the counter, the young girl rises. She had ginger hair, and a welder's mask covered her face. She held what seemed to be a makeshift rifle of sorts, not dissimilar from the turrets that had just broken into pieces beside her. She promptly pointed it at the intruder.

Young girl: Who are you, and how did you get here?!

Ballo laughs.

Ballo: Are you sure you want to use that...? Look what happened to your other two thingamajigs!

The young girl lowers her weapon as she hears his voice.

Young woman: ... Owl...?

Ballo smiles.

Ballo: Not anymore, I'm afraid. Is your teacher here?

Young girl: Ah ah! Not a teacher anymore, I graduated...!

She looks at the broken inventions.

Young girl: ... Barely...

From the corner comes the other woman. She seemed quite angry.

Middle-aged woman: YOU!

Straight as an arrow, her index finger points at the girl.

Middle-aged: How many times will-

She stops mid-sentence, as a terrible cough takes over her. The young one uses this opportunity to make her escape.

Young girl: I know, I know...! A couple of bolts must've come loose, is all... I'll fix them, sorry!

She grabs as many broken metal pieces from the floor as she can and rushes to the back of the workshop.

Middle-aged woman: We're not done here yet, Rotavitea...!

Rotavitea (Young girl): What's that? Can't hear you, it's too noisy back here!

She sighs as she turns to Ballo.