VI. A Mordrake's Grasp

A fat man opens the door to an old, mold-filled home. 

A small group of rats scurried off into a hole in the wall, scared by the sunlight that had abruptly lit the room

Fat man: This is the place! I'm sure you'll feel right at home in no time. There are no keys, because you see, there is no lock, either. The people around here trust each other enough not to steal from one another. Well, that and there's not much they can steal, anyway...

Anya: Thank you, mister Cabdan... 

Cabdan (Fat man): Oh no, thank you! I was in desperate need of a new pair of fists

Cabdan (Fat man): Oh no, thank you! I was in desperate need of a new pair of fists. If your boy does good, you can be sure that every month you'll only have to pay half the rent. So earn me lots of money, alright kid?!

The man extends his hand for a handshake. Virno noticed a peculiar ring in his pinkie finger, shining with an unnatural, almost magical grey glow. He slaps the man's hand away.

Virno: Tch... You're getting a bit too friendly, fatso. I'll show up tomorrow and beat their ass, rest assured.

Cabdan: Hahahah, that's the spirit! Quite a rebellious fire in him, eh? I'll see you tomorrow then... And welcome to the slums!

He shuts the door with too much strength. The wall cracks a bit more near the hinges, and dust falls from the fissures.

Virno: What a shithole...

Anya sighs.

Virno: Don't worry, there's no way you won't find some work around here. People could care less where we come from, as long as we got a healthy enough body we'll be useful for sure.

Anya: I hope you're right...

Virno sits on a nearby chair. It creaks and wobbles.

Virno: So, what's for dinner today?

Anya: Bread and...

She looks inside a basket she was carrying. There wasn't anything else.

Virno: Alright... The specialty of the house again. Got it. Did he leave us any water?

Anya looks around the small house briefly, but no water could be found anywhere. Only a couple of empty buckets.

Virno: Guess I'll take care of that, then. I'll be back soon.

Virno leaves the house carrying a bucket on each hand. The sunset tinted the dirt streets orange, as its warm light embraced him. He takes a deep breath.

Virno: We can only go up from here...

He makes his way through the main street. There were plenty of children playing, mostly with water and mud. Some created castles, others drew simple shapes and figures on the ground... It was quite a change from the childhood Virno had. He stops by a small group of kids, who have a small bucket of water beside them.

Virno: Hey. Where'd you get that water from?

They stop and look at him. None of them reply.

Virno: What, cat got your tongue? You're old enough to speak...

The children huddled together and grabbed some nearby sticks and stones. It was clear they saw him as a threat.

Virno: Jeez, I get it. Forget I asked...

As Virno prepares to leave, someone sneaks up behind him and places him under a choke hold.

Voice from behind: What do you want with these kids, you pervert?!

They were incredibly strong, yet Virno could tell they couldn't be taller than he was, due to the way his body bent backward under the hold. He struggled to talk and dropped the buckets in an attempt to free his neck from the clutches of his opponent.

Voice from behind: Let this be the first and last time I see you messing with any children, understand?!

They release the hold. Virno coughs aggressively as his neck is released. He turns around, furious.

Virno: DO YOU HAVE A FUCKING DEATH WISH?!

He was ready to pummel whoever did that to him into a bloody pulp. Much to his surprise, it was a girl, probably a year or two younger than him.

 Much to his surprise, it was a girl, probably a year or two younger than him

Girl (voice from behind): A child rapist and homicidal freak... We really don't get it easy around these parts...!

She takes up a battle stance, ready to fight Virno.

Virno: Wait wait wait, calm down! I didn't know you were a girl!

Girl: And I didn't know you were such a pussy! Come on then, come and kill me! See if you can...

She takes a couple of steps forward, approaching him. Virno steps back.

Virno: Calm the fuck down, I'm not beating up a girl! I'm not a child rapist, I was just asking where to get some damn water... My mom and I just moved here.

She eases off, but remains suspicious of him.

Girl: New in town huh... Cabdan did speak of someone like that a while ago. So you're his new fighter, then?

Virno: Yeah, starting tomorrow... You know him?

The girl sighs as she nods.

Girl: Everyone knows Cabdan around here... He practically owns the slums. That fat bastard makes his money using and abusing us. But then again, if it weren't for him we wouldn't even have a place to stay. So, you know... It's a love-hate kind of thing. Anyway, if you want water keep heading down the street. Once you see a big boulder, turn right. There's a fountain down that alley.

Virno: Got it. Thanks.

As Virno turns around to leave, the girl had a final word to say.

Girl: And next time try asking someone your goddamn size, or you may not be so lucky with the person who jumps you!

Virno: Yeah... I'll keep that in mind.

He keeps going his way.  Eventually, he arrives at the fountain. There was practically nobody there, so he quickly filled the two buckets and made his way back home...