XXXVI. A Glimpse of the End

From the palm of his hands, Lacerbus summons forth shadowy portals that release menacing tethers. Ballo, Virno, and Rel narrowly evade the onslaught, but Punjo is ensnared, hoisted upside down, suspended from the ceiling.

Ballo: Virno and Rel, we need some cover...!

Rel and Virno exchange knowing glances and reach for specialized spherical devices hanging from their belts, albeit slightly different in appearance from the one Virno had used not long ago. With a quick twist, they activate the devices and hurl them toward Lacerbus. This time, he quickly retaliates by conjuring more strings which intercept the projectiles in mid-air -- this time, he would not let the blast so much as graze him. However, the ensuing explosion creates a thick cloud of smoke that engulfs the room. Disoriented, Lacerbus withdraws some of his strings, causing several bodies to plummet to the ground. Strangely, the impacts create no audible sound. 

Ballo: Hunker down, I'll think of something... Virno, whatever you do, don't summon your silver sword. No matter what...! 

Taking advantage of the smokescreen, Ballo had encased the three of them in a grey bubble, blocking out all of the sound from the outside-in, and from the inside-out. After warning the two young boys, he makes his way toward the enemy. As Lacerbus, blinded by the haze, frantically uses his strings to stab at the dense cloud hoping to catch one of them, Rel and Virno try laying as low as possible. 

Lacerbus: WORMS! Step outside and face me!

With his abilities, Ballo discreetly conjures a portal behind Lacerbus, unbeknownst to the adversary. He skillfully links this portal to another one, strategically positioned in front of him. Quiet as a shadow, Ballo enters the portal and slips up behind Lacerbus.

Ballo: Your kind is not welcome here...!

Caught off guard by the unexpected voice from behind, Lacerbus whirls around, but it's too late. Ballo's blade pierces through Lacerbus's heart, and dark, corrupted blood trickles down to the floor.

Lacerbus: Hahahah...! You're astonishingly agile for your age, old man... But you confront powers that far surpass your skills.

Ballo's eyes shimmer with grey energy, extinguishing Lacerbus's once-arrogant demeanor.

Ballo: I am fully aware of the magnitude of my adversary...

Ballo channels a surge of grey energy through his blade. It seems to cause Lacerbus immense pain, as all of his fetters are released. All the bodies drop to the floor, though Ballo had anticipated this. With the cloud of smoke partially gone, it could now be seen that gravity itself seemed to slow down each body at just the right moment, before they hit the ground. Lacerbus, now on his knees, struggled desperately to activate some kind of latent power.

Ballo: You know it's too late for that now. No savior will come for you.

Ballo swept his arm, dispersing the remaining smoke within the room.

Lacerbus: Eclipse... So you were behind this...

Ballo: Eclipse have nothing to do with this anymore. I act of my own accord.

Lacerbus appeared taken aback by this revelation.

Lacerbus: You...? But why?

Lacerbus's gaze shifted toward Ballo's companions, who advanced toward him with anger in their eyes. Ballo noticed their approach.

Ballo: Hold your positions!

All of them stop in their tracks... Except for Virno.

Virno: That fucker's gonna pay!