Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Fuck."

"Yeh, I know you meant well but she needs honesty, especially from you." When did Bruno become so fucking wise.

"Why did you give her the bottle?" I ask out of genuine curiosity.

"Addie doesn't want to use the vices that she has depended in the past, but she has to be the one to make that decision. Taking them all away doesn't automatically mean she isn't an addict anymore. I'm hoping that even though she has the alcohol, she won't need to drink it but if she does, we will all be there for her in the aftermath. Recovery isn't a straight path; it's going to take time." Bruno speaks nothing but the truth and I curse myself for being so narrow minded.

I've fucked it all up when all I was trying to do was help. Fuck, it's the exactly the same thing Daniel did. Fair enough his intentions might have not been the same as mine but the way it's made Adaline feel is and that's not right. How do I make it better? She certainly won't want me near her just now but the thought of her in that room, alone and hurting, breaks my heart.

"Call her friend Jess, I think she could use her support right now." I sigh, giving Bruno one final look before heading to my office.

~~~

ADDIE

A whirlwind of emotions are ripping through my body all at once. Fear, pain, anger and an overwhelming need to open the bottle of vodka that has been staring at me for the past 30 minutes.

I've screamed and thrown just about everything I could get my hands on against the wall. The room is completely trashed, and tears keep streaming down my face. My whole body is in agony, I haven't done this much exertion since before everything happened. The pain I feel though is from the lies and the shame I'm feeling. One bump in the road and I've already went straight back to craving a drink.

God what must everyone think! Not even two hours ago I was so sure about never touching a drop of alcohol and now look at me. What makes it even worse is that it was Bruno that handed it to me.

It's still not open.

A small voice appears in the back of my mind. It's true the craving is there; it's got me in a grip so tight I can hardly breath but not a drop of alcohol has passed my lips. That's what counts right? It's still untouched. Before I can fall down this rabbit hole any further my bedroom door opens without warning.

The dread that hits me is instantly replaced when my eyes land on the brunette who saunters through the door. Her eyes widen in shock at the state of the room but soften as soon as they land on me.

"Oh hon, come here." Jessica opens her arms just as my lip begins to wobble and I fling myself into them. I begin to sob as she runs a soothing hand up and down my back.

"You're okay." She whispers over and over again until I've calmed down enough to have a proper conversation.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, finally able to take a deep breath.

"Bruno? I think his name was, phoned me and asked if I could come over. I have to admit girlie you have been holding out! These men are gorgeous!" Jessica pretends to swoon which forces a small laugh to leave my lips.

"Yeah, they are all very pretty." I admit as my stupid tears keep rolling down my face. This is the first time I've seen Jess in God knows how long and I'm a fucking mess.

"Now tell me what's going on and I want to know as much as your willing to tell me okay. There is no pressure here." Jess reassures me.

So, I let the words pour from my mouth. Everything from thinking my father was dead to him being the one who abducted me. I share all the gory details about what he did to me and what his overall agenda had been. I finish off by telling her how he isn't in fact my dad and that I have a completely separate family I know nothing about.