Chapter Four

ADDIE

Sleep has not been my friend for what feels like an eternity, vivid nightmares plague my dreaming state. I'm all over the place, I can't concentrate on anything, and I feel the control on my life slipping. How can nightmares have such an effect on me? Adaline, you need to get a grip! This is not you. The urge to drink myself into an oblivion has crossed my mind more than once.

These thoughts bring me back to when I was 18 and struggling with many addictions all of which I thought I'd got a handle on. I didn't recognize myself back then, constantly drunk and on God knows what. It's a time that I'd like to forget and one which my brother loves to remind me of when we are arguing. He doesn't understand though, our childhoods were different. Yes, they were both hard, but he was wanted, the perfect child to carry on the family legacy, planned. Then there was me, the mistake and the source of all my father's anger. John Webster was a firm believer of tough love but what he made me endure was just pure evil, the man was a monster.

Without thinking I pour myself a glass of wine and down the glass before filling it up again and repeating the process until half the bottle is gone. Finally, some peace and quiet, my thoughts become too loud sometimes. I'm constantly needing to be on top of everything. My schoolwork, my job and even keeping up with being Addie fucking Jones. She was supposed to be my escape to keep the monster at bay, but nothing seems to be fucking working.

Growling I discard the glass opting to just drink from the bottle. It gets the job done quicker and before I know it, I'm lying on the couch with an empty wine bottle by my side. I do have to say I'm disappointed in myself, but I guess old habits die hard. One person who seems to bring me out of my head is my newly acquainted friend - is he, my friend? Do friend's kiss. Who knows but Rocco Rodriguez is something new, who knows nothing about any of my problems and looks at me like I'm normal.

I go to stand up to grab another drink, but I fall straight back down again with a giggle. Maybe drinking a whole bottle of wine on an empty stomach wasn't such a good idea. Christ I am going to have one hell of a hangover in the morning. The knocking on my door makes me groan. I'm now going to have to try walk to the door. Okay just one step at a time, the knocking starts up again,

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" I shout swaying slightly as I go. Finally reaching the door, unlocking it before I swing it open getting one hell of a surprise.

"Mr. Rodriguez? What are you doing here?" I question leaning against the front door for support. I really shouldn't have drunk the whole bottle so quickly.

"Are you drunk?" He muses.

"What gave it away?" Oh, I don't know Adaline maybe your glazed eyes? Or the fact that you are holding onto your door for dear life.

Instead of answering me he laughs before entering the flat walking straight into the living room like he owns the place and here I am trailing behind him like a drunk little pup. Rocco heads straight for the couch and picks up my empty bottle of wine.

"The whole bottle spitfire?"

"That's what it looks like doesn't it?" I sass falling beside him on the couch. "What are you doing here anyways?" The question falling from my lips. It had been exactly a week since the front door incident where I had kissed him, and he had to leave. I'd been thinking about that kiss all week, I wonder if he would want to do it again. C'mon Addie you are thinking like a child.

"Well, I left kind of unexpectedly and I'd grown tired of waiting for you to call me." Rocco's reply has me looking up at him, a small smile playing on my lips. "Looks like you're having fun without me though." His comment has the smile coming off my face quicker than I can blink.