Chapter Twenty Two

ADDIE

My breathing calms, only slightly when I realise that it's just Rocco. However, my nerves increase at all the possibilities as to why he is here. Maybe this is it, over. Our eyes meet which has his softening. He is looking at me like I'm some wounded animal. His arrival has me somewhat annoyed.

Who does he think he is?

Its actually laughable that Rocco thinks he can storm out in a rage, to then come back three days later and pitty me. Fuck that. My eyes narrow as my anger builds. The arrogance of this man baffles me at times.

"I think I'll leave you two alone for a minute." Rose pipes up. Interrupting our staring contest. My head whips round in her direction at her words. I try plead with her silently. Begging her not to leave. She either doesn't get my message or she doesn't care because Rose is up and out of the room as quickly as she can.

Traitor.

The silence in the room is deafening and the seconds feel like hours. "Why are you here Rocco?" Sighing, making the first move.

Really hoping we can get whatever this is over with. I've had an emotional few days and this is certainly not what I need.

"I'm sorry I left." He announces, taking cautious steps towards me until he is face to face with me. My eyebrows shoot up in surprise. That was definitely not what I was expecting him to say.

"Okay." Shrugging. Not fully understanding why he is still here and why he keeps fucking looking at me like that.

"Right, could you stop looking at me like that!" I snap

"Like what?" Rocco questions, his features drawn down in confusion.

"Like you have just ran over my puppy. I'm pissed off at you for leaving me that night. I accept I made the wrong call but I would never have left you. Shit like that fucks with me. You can't do stuff like that, you can't" I admit. Maintaining eye contact with him but it's challenging.

I just want to run away. This situation as a whole is becoming far too complicated. When feelings get thrown in the mix people get hurt. I've been hurt so badly in the past that I can't take anymore.

I'm tired.

"Adaline..." Rocco trails off as if he can't find the words to express himself. I stay silent hoping he can respond.

"We were both in the wrong that night. But I should never have stayed away for as long as I did. I need us to be a team but the only way that can happen is trust and honesty."

I go to respond but Rocco holds his hand up. I clamp my mouth shut, letting him finish.

"I need to stop trying to control you. I understand that now. It just makes everything a 100% harder. If I promise to let you breath more, you need to promise me that you'll be honest with me. I don't expect you to tell me everything but your nightmares and the risky behaviour, I need you to let me in." Rocco continues, raw emotion clear in his tone and eyes.

I can't quite work out if he is telling the truth or what. I'm terrified that if I tell him everything, he will never look at me the same way again. I truly care for Rocco, that has been made evident these past few days. The thought of loosing him hurts my heart. It was stupid of me to think I could keep myself guarded.

I'm having an internal battle with myself. A part of me wants to tell him, let it all out and have someone else to bare the burden with. But the larger part is screaming at me not to do it. He will never want to come near me again. I'm tainted, broken. I should never be wanted by anyone, let alone someone like Rocco.