Chapter Seventeen

ROCCO

The past few weeks have been manic. Between working, taking care of Addie and making sure that the peace is kept with all the New York gangs, its endless. Its been long days and even longer nights as the two types of businesses merge. I'm exhausted and quite frankly missing spending time at the apartment with Adaline.

I was never suppose to get this invested in the the red-haired women who doesn't think before she speaks. If anything she was suppose to be a quick easy fuck and then I move on. Nothing about Adaline is quick or easy. She has entwined herself into every aspect of my life and I can't say I'm mad about it. I want her to be apart of me, all of me. She has seen some of my darkest parts and still, she stays.

I understand that she has dark secrets hidden away, it doesn't take a genius to work that out. Instead of wanting to run like I'd usually do. I want to understand them, I want her to trust me enough to let me in. The prospect of this scares the shit out of me but I do care deeply for Adaline.

Watching her shout and scream with her brother had me wanting to step in. The amount of self control I needed pained me. Watching Addie becoming upset and frustrated riles me up. It makes me want to storm up to Daniel and beat the shit out of him.

I won't.

Since the whole fiasco of Addie turning up in the middle of our meeting and the way they spoke to each other, both relationships have been tense. I'm pissed off with Daniel for the way he spoke to her and Addie is just pissed off at the world. She has been storming about the apartment and snapping at anyone and everyone she comes in to contact with.

Bruno seems to be getting the brunt of it. Not that I'm complaining, he was suppose to be watching out for her. In saying that the attitude of the women towards men right now I would've let her go too. So I haven't said anything, I've let Addie do all the work.

Walking through the front door I can already hear the pair of them arguing in the kitchen. Honestly I feel like I parent these two most of the time. I actually miss the days Bruno wouldn't speak to Adaline, made my life a lot easier.

"Cut it out!" I demand narrowing my eyes at the pair. Who seem to be making a right mess of the kitchen.

"But-"

"But nothing! Piss off Bruno you are needed at the warehouse. Addie go get ready we are heading out." I cut them off before they can say anything else. Raising my eyebrow when they don't move, I glare which does the trick. Both of them scampering off in different directions.

Sighing I run my fingers throught my hair, trying to ease some of the pressure in my head. As I said the weeks are taking their toll. I'll enjoy tonight, let go of all the stresses for a while. Let's just hope Addie can do the same.

"I need to know where we are going!" Addie calls from the bedroom.

"Wear something casual but warm, it's cold out." I respond heading for a shower. I smile when I hear her huffing, annoyed that I'm not giving anything away.

Once I am showered and we are both dressed, I lead us out of the door. Since the revelation that it's someone from Daniel's past that has been following Addie and they say they mean her no harm I feel more at ease about taking her out. Does that mean I think the threat has been delt with? No but I do think Addie is going to combust if I don't let her live a little.

For someone like Addie who craves control, being couped up and restricted is just going to make her spiral. I made that mistake at the Manor, I won't be doing it again. I can tell Addie is in no mood to be going on a mysterious outing but is trying to mask her annoyance. It's also something I've noticed about her. She keeps things bottled up until they explode especially with her brother. It's like she will only go against him if it's absolutely necessary.