Chapter Thirty One

ROCCO

We are no further forward in finding Addie. No new leads, absolutely fuck all. It's been three days and I'm growing more concerned by the hour. Paddy's revelation that the person responsible for Addie's disappearance is in fact her father. He didn't give me specifics as to why that is the worst-case scenario - informing me that it was Daniel's story to tell.

I could harbor a guess, Adaline's nightmares being the biggest clue. I swear if he is hurting her, I will make him wish he was dead. If he has even touched a hair on her head I will rip him apart, limb by limb.

We are at a large disadvantage; Daniel still hasn't woken up. His condition is better, but the doctors have told us that it can take time for his body to heal. I really need him to wake up soon. He is the only person who may have an insight into the inner workings of his father.

With every minute that drags by my anxiety heightens. I fucking loath not being in control and the fact that someone could take away the one important person to me has my blood boiling. This is why I always shied away from relationships; they give you a weakness. A weakness that is easy to exploit. All Addie was supposed to be was a quick fuck, someone to pass the time for a short while. Then she was asking for my help, and I was so quick to want to help her. It was a need, I needed to help her, I needed to make sure she was safe. Then feelings got involved and now I have a large part of me that's been ripped away now that she is gone.

I took that job; I was supposed to keep her safe and I've failed.

Failure leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It's a vile taste that has my stomach churning. That nauseating feeling could be to do with the fact I've not being able to eat. Sleep has also been hard to come by. Every time I close my eyes, I just see images of someone hurting my spitfire.

The images haunt me even when I'm awake.

I need to find her.

I don't know what I'll do if I don't.

The only time I am able to drift off is after I've downed a bottle of whatever is to hand. I now understand why Addie craves alcohol when she can't sleep. It numbs you enough that you fall into a dreamless sleep. The feeling could become addicting.

My heart hurts at the thought of Addie. If I could trade places with her, I would. I'm not saying she isn't strong, but that man is the one person who I think has the capability to completely destroy her. I'm scared that if that was to happen, she wouldn't have the fight left in her to help mend herself again.

I don't think she thinks I have noticed but Addie has her struggles. I see it in the way she turns to drugs and alcohol. Hell, even the way she uses sex as an escape. I haven't brought it up because she does seem to have a handle on it but it's a balancing act, one life changing event and it all crumbles.

The thought of losing her kills me but to have her here physically but have her destroy herself. Well, that's a thought that makes me want to burn the whole world to the ground.

The sound of ringing brings me out of my dark thoughts.

"Yes?" I answer, not even bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Boss, you better get down to the hospital. Daniel's awake." Marco responds, a slight edge to his tone. I doubt that the news that his baby sister was kidnapped very well.

The shouting I hear on the other end confirming my suspicions.

"I'm on my way." With that I hang up. Gathering all my things, I leave my office without so much as a goodbye to my receptionist.

I ordered her to clear my entire schedule for the foreseeable future, she went to object but the murderous look she received stopped her in her tracks. Ever since then, she hasn't been able to maintain eye contact, good.