Chapter Twenty Three

ADDIE

Its been a few weeks since my chat with Rocco and he seems to be keeping his promise. I've been able to spread my wings more, Jess and I have arranged weekly coffee dates and I'm able to go too and from myself. I know it may sound like Rocco is some crazy control freak- and he his for the most part, but I know its comes from a good place.

Our relationship -if you can even call it that- has gotten better as well. We talk more, I've been making a real effort to be honest about how I'm feeling and it seems to be having a positive impact. My nightmares aren't as frequent and when they do come, Rocco is always by my side. We have decided not to keep guns in the bedroom, just incase I do accidentally shoot one of them during one of my night terrors.

The subject of therapy has been brought up again and as always I have declined. I'm not ready yet. I can't bring myself to say the words to my loved ones let alone a complete stranger. I'm dealing with it in my own way and that's good enough for me right not.

I've decided that the binge drinking and reckless behaviour needs to stop as well. I've been limiting my alcohol intake and clubs and bars are a no go. Exercise has become my new vice and I love it. Bruno and I go for morning runs and I train in the gym with Rocco daily. It keeps my mind free and clear. It's also great for my figure. Daniel always wanted me fully combat trained which I was up, until we moved over here. So to make sure I'm still able to fully protect myself, it's incorporated into my training regime. Personally I think Rocco just likes to kick my arse but hey ho at least I'm learning.

I think.

I have a rare day to myself, where I don't have school and the boys are all off doing whatever it is they do. The plan for the day is to lay on the couch drinking tea with my nose in a book. It's still freezing in New York with the nights still long, I'm ready for it to be summer. I do love winter but when it comes to the end of January it's begins to drag. The only good thing about this time of year is that my birthday is coming up soon. It'll be a quiet one but I'm looking forward too it. I think its about time I try and become fully sober. I'm getting older and should be maturing, the booze and drugs cause nothing but damage.

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf.

The sound of post coming through the letterbox has my attention. We never get mail. Curious, I stand from the sofa and go to collect it. The sound of my sliders against the wood floor echos throughout the apartment. My eyes widen in surprise, it's addressed to me. Nothing ever gets sent here for me. My forwarding address is always my brothers house. I was too lazy to ever get it changed. Plus I think they charge you for it. Fuck that.

Looking at the envelope I see its handwritten. Odd who writes letters anymore? Intrigued I tear open the envelope to find it is indeed a letter. My brows furrow in concern when I begin to read it.

Dearest Addie,

You have been rather difficult to find these past months. I have to say I have enjoyed the challenge. Those boys of yours sure are greedy, not letting you go. It's rather infuriating. I was hoping that after I burnt down your house that we could finally be together but alas. Good things come to those who wait.

Trust me Addie I am a very patient man. You will be mine Adaline, I'll make sure of it. That pathetic man thinks he has you, well he is wrong. You're mine Adaline. All mine. I will be in touch soon my sweetheart.

Forever yours.

My eyes triple check that what I have just read isn't a figment of my imagination. It isn't, my heart is racing and I have this overwhelming feeling that I am being watched.