Chapter Thirty Two

TW - Abuse.

ADDIE

Hell.

For the last however many days I've been trapped here has been hell. I've lost count of how long I've been here for. Every day is the same, the beatings always lead to some sort of abuse. Always at the hands of John.

I'm done.

Every inch of my body covered in bruises; my eyes so swollen I can barely see. For the most part I've left alone during the day. Left alone so that my mind can torcher me some more. The quiet gives me even more time to relive every unspeakable act that has been forced upon me.

I just want this to be over.

My mind has retreated into the deepest, darkest place it could. Since the first night I've thought of every way possible to end it all. I hate myself for even thinking it but my whole body is craving the substances that I've been trying to live without. I miss the feeling of the drugs rushing through my system. I crave the feeling of being in the balance between life and death.

I need all of this to be done now. I have survived 23 years of this man's torment and it was unbearable when I thought he was dead. Now that he is alive, I know I will not make it out of this unscathed.

I am begging for death at this point. I can't see a way back from this. I was a child before; I could shake it off as bad dreams but now! Now it's real, my nightmare comes into my room every night to inflict pain on me.

A father is supposed to love, care and nurture his child. He is supposed to make sure all the monsters and bad feelings are frightened away. He is supposed to be a little girl's protector. What a father is not supposed to be is the reason that his children are scarred beyond repair. A father should never beat and rape his own child. What sick man does that to his own flesh and blood.

A disgusted sob racks my body at the thought.

A wince instantly follows. My whole body throbbing. I've spent most of my time here curled up on the stained, battered mattress. My only positive interaction throughout the day is with the blonde girl I met on my first day here.

Kate.

She is the only light in this place.

The biggest contradiction in this whole nightmare. I only see her when she brings in food and water and to tend to my ever-growing wounds. The conversation is always light but it's nice to have a friendly face, someone who doesn't take anything from me but gives me something. A little comfort in this hell hole. Her visits are fast becoming the best part of this whole ordeal. I have to hold onto the positive parts. Even if they are small, I can't let him strip me of all my goodness.

I have to at least try and fight. It is taking absolutely all of me to try stay in the light, but it only takes one spark. I truly believe that Kate is that spark. She may be my only hope to getting out of here. I just need one chance to get to Rocco somehow. I really believe that if I just get some sort of word out to Rocco that he will find me.

Kate needs to be that opportunity. I can see it in her eyes and in her actions that she is good. The kindness she has shown me is warming. If I can get out of this, I know in my heart I need to take her with me. Save her like she is trying to save me. Show her kindness and give her a standing chance at life out with this horrible place.

I only need one chance.

~~~~~~~~

The door clattering open shocks me from my slumber. Completely disorientated, I must've fallen asleep. More like drifting in and out of consciousness. The lack of food, water and the degree of my injuries knocking me out for periods of time.