Chapter Nineteen

ADDIE

The vibrations of the floor vibrate through me bringing a smile to my face. I sway my hips, running my fingers through my hair loving the feeling of being free. The loud music stops me from thinking about anything other than the DJ's set list. I have not touched a drop of alcohol but I feel drunk off the atmosphere of the place.

Jess and I decided to go to a club that has nothing to do with either Rocco or Daniel, hoping for some sort of peace. It was hard to find one but Jess is a master of finding good bars and clubs. With a little digging she managed to find one close enough to the apartment but far enough away to not have to look over my shoulder.

Is it a good idea to dissappear into the night after the antics in the morning? Probably not. I'm not completely stupid, I sent a quick text to Rocco saying I was going out. Didn't mention any place names and I shut off my phone afterwards. I'm childish, Rocco will be pissed off. Hell even Bruno will be as well.

Shaking the thoughts from my head, I grab Jessica's hand and pull her into the middle of the dance floor. We dance and sing along to the music, dodging wayward hands that try and grope us. Why do men think its acceptable to try grab at two women who obviously don't want to entertain the egos of strange men.

Pushing off yet another wandering hand, I turn back to Jess laughing and giggling at the way she is dancing. I go to shout something but all of a sudden shots are fired. The dance floor erupts in screams, everyone rushing to get to safety. I urgently try find Jess, gripping her hand tightly as I try to get us somewhere safer.

Just as I'm about to pull us off the dance floor a gun is shoved in my face. A boy, barely eighteen stands infront of me with the gun aiming straight for me. The tremor of his hand tells me he doesn't want to be here. He is panicking, people who panic do stupid things.

Oh god Addie why did you have to leave the fucking house today. I can see a few men in suits laying dead on the floor near me. Their empty eyes bore into mine, my heart is racing but my main concern is Jess who is standing behind me.

I'm staring down the barrel of the gun and a large part of me thinks, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he shoots. I almost want to egg him on to do it. Scream at him even just to pull the trigger and end it all. Hell it would make things a whole lot easier. It's what they do to wounded animals that are too far gone. Sometimes I feel like that myself, far too damaged to be saved. The type of damaged that just brings everyone else around them down too.

It could all be stopped by this one kid. A kid who doesn't look like he even wants to be here. He should be at home with his parents or messing about with his friends. This kid should definitely not be in some club pointing guns at people. He has so much potential, a whole other story to be written. A story that he will likely never get the chance to make.

"Give me your fucking-" before the kid could finish his demands a single gun shot hits him in the side of his head. The kids body falls right at my feet. Jess let's out a piercing scream at the sight.

I stare at the body laying at my feet. Blood oozing out of his head. It amazes me how the sight doesn't evoke the same reaction as the one Jess has. I feel numb to it. Is he at peace now? Does he have s family who are wondering where he is?

All the endless questions I have surrounding a complete stranger. One that was more than willing to end it all for me.

My frantic eyes hunt to find the source of the killer. Praying that Jess isn't in any danger. Sighing in relief when my eyes meet with none other than Patrick O'Connor, who is putting his gun away before slowly walking towards me. I back away slightly protecting Jess just in case. It's like O'Connor senses the fear and raises his hands in surrender.