Chapter Two

ADDIE

"NO! NO PLEASE I'LL BE A GOOD GIRL I PROMISE! PLEASE DON'T HURT ME AGAIN!" The little girl begs and pleads with the man gripping onto her hair. It's useless though, the man's alcohol induced rage has taken over and he only has sights for the small girl. She goes to say something again but is roughly cut off by feeling an intense pain in her face. The man had punched the little girl square across the face, sending her flying across the room.

"This is what you get for being a twisted little fuck! You know better than to talk to me! Your nothing! NOTHING!" the man sends a brutal kick to the girl's stomach before kneeling down to wrap his fingers around her neck squeezing the life out of her.

Pounding on the front door pulls me out of my nightmare with a gasp. I look around my room in fear that the man is still here gently touching my neck, as I can still feel the lingering touch of the monsters' hands. Sighing, it was just a dream it's not real Addie get it together. The banging continues as I get out of bed and walk towards the front door. I catch a mirror as I go and I look a mess, ginger hair stuck to my face with sweat and the bags under my eyes seem to get darker with each day. 

I've not seen a good night's sleep in months.

"What on earth is with all the banging!?" I question as I open the front door to my apartment, finding Jessica my best friend - and a right pain in the arse- about to continue her assault on my door.

"Well, it took you long enough ginge. For a minute there I thought I was gonna have to break down the door! Wow don't you look like shit." She exclaims as she pushes past me and flings herself back on my couch.

Jessica Patterson was the first girl I'd met who was actually genuine when I came over to the states. I met her in the club when I first started, and we hit it off right away. She is definitely more outgoing than me and sometimes is way too loud for her own good, but she is my best friend and I wouldn't change her for the world.

"So, what are you doing here at half 9 in the morning?" The question falls from my lips as I try to rub the sleep for my eyes.

"Well since I don't work with you anymore you've been MIA, so I thought I'd come to you! You're gonna get cleaned up and look a lot less shitty, then we are going to go for brunch."

Did I also mention the girl has no filter at all. Shaking my head with a small smile on my face I make my way to the bathroom to try wash away the night, hoping it might shake the thoughts of my nightmare. After 20 minutes I'm washed and clean, but my head is still very much a mess, but we move. Finally, I'm dressing in jeans, an oversized roll neck jumper and one of my thickest winter jackets because New York is freezing at this time of year.

"Don't you scrub up well ginge!" Jessica whistles which gets her the middle finger in return.

"Shut it you and let's go! I'm starving and in desperate need of a coffee." Pushing her out the door and into the crisp air of Brooklyn as we head down to our favorite cafe that is only 5 minutes down the road.

The morning I had with Jess really did make a difference to my mood she really does have that effect on people. Jessica Patterson is a true New Yorker it runs through her veins she always says. She doesn't come from much money, but her family is like gold dust. Since my brother and I don't celebrate thanksgiving, I've spent the past 3 years going to the Patterson's for the holiday and it's nice to finally get a real sense of what having a normal family is like. Here's where the guilt kicks in though. Jess doesn't know the real me, well she does I don't put on a show I'm just me, Addie Jones. What I mean to say is she knows nothing about how I'm related to Mr. Daniel Webster CEO of Webster Industries, how I've been brought up with a considerable amount of wealth but also that I'm an orphan. I spun some story that I don't speak with my parents to save myself from getting the looks of pity that I've gotten most of my life.