Chapter 1

*Val POV*
"Val...Val!!" Skulduggery yelled. I jumped, turning to face him. "Yeah?.." I mumbled. He stared into my blank eyes and I saw him sag. "What's wrong, love?" He asked, softly. He shuffled over to my side of the bed and took me into his arms. "Nothing, just tired" I said, painting a fake smile onto my face. I knew he saw through it but he didn't say anything. "We have to get ready", he sighed. I pouted, trying to act like me from 2 months ago. "I don't want to go!" I whined. He tilted his head to show he was smiling. "We have to! I'll be there with you!" He laughed. I sighed, standing up and pecking his teeth. I pulled away but he put his arms around my waist. "You know you can talk to me, Val?" He whispered. I nodded, and kissed him longer. The kiss deepened and I found myself on the bed, as skuls facade layed kisses along my neck. We were brought out of our fun when my phone started ringing. I sighed as Skul got off me. "Hello?" I answered. "Hey sweetie! Are you and skulduggery coming today?" Ghastly asked. "Yep. We'll be there soon" I chirp. "Okay, bye!" Ghastly hangs up and I get up and head to the shower. As I let the warm water rush over me, he thinks your weak. Darquesse taunts. A tear rolls down my cheek, blending in with the water. Please leave me alone! I beg in my head. I don't think I will. You don't deserve them. Darquesse snarls. I hold back sobs as I try in vain to ignore her. I hop out of the shower and dry myself off. I look in the mirror at my disgusting reflection. Filthy. Pathetic I think in anger. I change, walking out to meet Skul. He's still trying to tie his tie. I walk up to him and hug him from behind. "I love you with all my heart, Val" he murmurs, turning to face me. He's lying. "I love you to" I grin, kissing his teeth. He buys the fake grin as we walk, hand in hand downstairs. "Off to the sanctuary we go!" He chirps. I roll my eyes, playfully and secretly in my head Darquesse is taunting me.