Chapter 114 - Sidelines

(1)

Kell watched as Roran cut Destra down in a matter of minutes. Duels were known for being short bouts, but this was quick even for them. All it took was a few brief exchanges and the demi-god known as Destra was little more than a singed corpse sprawled out across the ground.

It was strange seeing an aspect of death looming over Roran so openly. The desiccated figure covered in roiling shadows had startled everyone into silence. The entire arena had gone still. A handful of the lords and ladies within the diplomatic chambers had let out gasps, though none dared to say a word. They saw the Black Clerk and recognized it for what it was.

Even Darling had turned pale. As the match drew to a close, she turned to Kell and said, "I heard stories of the Fel Miner rampaging through Usov's Keep. I didn't fully believe them, not until now."

"When they say death walks in Roran's shadow, they're being literal."

"That's what remains of Sarah?"

Kell nodded. "She died, for lack of a better term, protecting Roran. Nul stuffed her remains inside him to turn him into a demi-god. They're one and the same now."

"I can't decide if that's heartwarming, or horrific."

"It's a little of both if you ask me. Can't argue with the results though. Roran is capable of killing any mortal just by using his etchings. He's become the deadliest being alive."

Nul came to stand next to the two sisters. "It comes with a price," they said. "Sarah is burning through Roran's life. When this is all said and done, he'll have lost several decades off his lifespan."

"Is that why he's so tired all of the time?" asked Darling.

Nul nodded. "All power such as this comes with a cost. The Kings cannot leave the mountains, Roran is being drained of his life, and the Chosen were bound to the wills of their remnant counterparts."

"What about you?" asked Darling. "What price did you pay?"

"They went insane," said Kell.

Nul didn't argue. They didn't show Kell so much as a scowl. They simply stared out the window, watching as Roran left the arena. Kell wondered if Nul could see the lyhlim below that were undoubtedly tearing apart another one of the King's precious remnants.

"And you, Kell?" asked Darling. "What will you lose when you become like them?"

"Nothing," said Kell. "Because I'm not becoming like them. There's no remnant for me, I get to remain a boring old human with the rest of you mortals."

The stands below began to empty as people filed out. Though Roran's bout had been the most exciting, it had also been the last of the day. There was nothing more for the people to see. The diplomatic chambers around them had also begun to empty, with the nobles and the ambassadors pairing up to sneak off for hushed conversations.

"I should attend to my duties," said Darling. "Roran's victory will have caused a stir and I need to be ready to assuage the fears of my colleagues."

"And what fears would those be?" asked Kell.

"Why, the fear that Roran is anything other than on our side. He's a known ally to Uhlara and a personal friend of mine. I must assure them that he is loyal to me and that I can control him."

"I'm glad you're the one that ended up in politics and not me. I would hate to view my friends that way."

"Believe me, sister, I am not fond of it either. However, it is a necessary tactic when dealing with the greater powers of the world. I will see you all at home."