Chapter 1 - All I have to do is die (5)

Roran ran, weaving in between the other combatants trying to get away from the oncoming storm. Kell chased him with ease, gaining on him with every passing second. He'd managed to get the jump on her, but he wouldn't survive a direct conflict. She was too skilled and too ruthless. Every step he took only served to shorten his lifespan. Unless he could somehow defeat Kell, he was going to die.

His heart thundering in his ears, Roran recalled another lesson his mother had taught him. The safest place in a storm is in the center. While the winds and rain raged around the outside, the eye of the storm was calm and quiet. Gripping his sword and shield, Roran planted his foot and turned to face the oncoming nightmare.

"I want to live!" he roared, acknowledging for the first time that he didn't actually want to die. Sure it would help his people, sure it would prevent pointless suffering, sure it would let him finally leave this messed up world. But still, Roran wanted to live, he wanted to keep fighting.

Sliding to a stop, he raised his blade and prepared himself. Kell bared down on him with psychotic glee. She swung her spear in a wide arc, aiming it for Roran's neck. Roran stepped forward, meeting the spear with the combined force of his shield and sword. The impact was jarring, slamming the shield into his shoulder, but Roran held strong and repelled the attack.

A look of surprise crossed Kell's face as her attack was fended off and Roran pressed the advantage, diving at her. She was small and lithe, Roran was almost twice her size. Without the advantage of her spear, he might be able to take her. He slammed into her, knocking her off balance. As she went over, Roran felt a brief moment of hope, then Kell smiled and Roran realized he was screwed.

Kell grabbed onto Roran's shirt and fell backwards, pulling him with her. She planted her foot in his stomach and rolled as they hit the dirt, flipping Roran over and onto his back. Kell was back on her feet in a second with the tip of her spear resting against Roran's throat.

Grinning down at him, Kell tapped her spear against his chest. "Not bad kid," she said, "you're the first person to take me head on in a long time."

Roran swallowed, wincing every time the spear point bounced off his collar bone. She was using the flat of the blade but each touch was still jarring.

"This your first time in the Crucible?" she asked.

Roran nodded.

"Pretty gutsy move for a newbie. You got a death wish or something?"

"Or something," Roran choked out, waiting for the inevitable bite of steel into his flesh.

Kell laughed. It was just as awful as the first time.

"I like you. Tell you what, I'll keep rock for brains and Mr. Slicey off your back, then all you have to do is not get killed by one of the other amateurs until the bell rings. Sound good?"

"What?"

Kell removed the spear and bent down, extending a hand to Roran. When he hesitated, she grabbed the front of his shirt and hauled him to his feet. Despite her small frame, she was incredibly strong.

"Stay alive kid, that's all you have to do."

Kell turned to leave, her spear bouncing jauntily on her shoulder.

Roran stood there dazed and confused, unsure of what had just happened. He'd been facing down certain death and now he had an ambiguous ally. Maybe chaos incarnate was an appropriate name for her.

"Why?" he called after, "why didn't you kill me?"

Kell looked over her shoulder, that hungry gleam dancing in her eye once more. "Because I need something and I think you might be able to help me get it. Don't die kid, I'll see you around."

Roran watched her walk away. She practically had a skip in her step as she moved towards her next victim. Dazed and confused, it took Roran a moment to remember that he was still in the middle of a deathmatch and people were actively trying to kill him. Picking up his sword and shield, Roran jogged towards the wall of the arena, avoiding the other combatants.

It was easier now. There were less people and those that remained moved sluggishly, stumbling around the bodies bleeding into the ground and avoiding anyone else that was still standing. With the initial burst of fear and adrenaline gone, it seemed that everyone just wanted the fighting to end. Everyone except the veterans.

Duran was continuing to chase a couple of combatants around, swinging his hammer wildly. Despite his enthusiasm, his size was holding him back and he was huffing and puffing with every step. Morena, covered from head to toe in blood, was cornering another victim. Kell, still as cheerful as before, was coming up behind him.

Trapping his prey against the wall, Morena tilted his head down at her, smiling. "Come now, it's no fun if you don't scream."

Morena's victim dropped her weapon and put up her hands. "Please don't kill me," she said, "I'll do anything you say, just don't kill me!"

"If you'll do anything I say, then start screaming!"

Morena raised his sword. Before he could bring it down, Kell let out a long, low whistle. The blade stopped mid-stroke. Morena paused and looked over at Kell.

"What do you want Kell?" he asked.

"Well...I was just thinking that she would make number five for you," said Kell, tapping the butt of her spear in the dirt.

"So? You're not trying to save the poor girl, are you?"

"No. It's just that I'm already at five kills. You kill her, I get to challenge you to a duel."

Morena paused, looking from Kell back to the girl. She was half curled up on the ground trembling.

"Duran has to have more than five by now," he said.

"Nope." Kell shook her head. "Boulder brains is at four and..." they both looked over Duran who was doubled over and gasping for breath, exhausted from all the running. "...I don't think he's going to get another. It's just you and me, Morena."

Morena licked his lips, hesitating.

"Come on," said Kell, "go for it. I'd love to challenge you to fight you can't run away from. Don't you want to fight me? I'm like half your size."

Frowning, Morena lowered his swords. "Is this because of that scar I gave you? Are you still mad at me for that?"

"No, if I was mad at you, you would be dead."

"So what, you just want to kill me?"

"Yeah kind of, I mean, that is what we do here."

Sighing, Morena sheathed his swords. "Fine, forget it, you can have the victory."

Kell grinned. "I usually do."

She raised her spear and slammed the butt on the ground. As if on cue, the bell once more rang out through the arena, signaling the end of the fight.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," the announcer called out, his voice coming from everywhere and nowhere, "We have our winner. Chaos incarnate has once more conquered the crucible."

The audience began stomping their feet, chanting, "Kell, Kell, Kell."

Kell flipped them off again, which only made them cheer louder.

Lost in the chanting and the screaming and exhilaration of the fight, Roran dropped to his knees. Around him, half of the combatants were dead, their bodies laying in heaps. Confetti fell from the stands like snow, slowly covering the corpses, as if hiding them with bright colors would make the tragedy disappear.

All around him was blood and death; and yet, somehow, Roran had survived.