Chapter 6 - Nul (1)

Roran ignored Kamil and Denali ignoring him as they passed out the rations. Murrin had purchased extra so there was plenty to go around but Roran didn't want any. Kell would be coming for him soon, he would be able to fill himself with real food. Even if Kell didn't feed him, he would fill up on air and sunshine. Just being outside was enough to fill his soul.

It was like a drug to him. Being outside was dangerous. Roran risked his life every time he stepped foot outside this dungeon, but he needed it. He couldn't hide down here waiting to starve anymore. It didn't matter if he was murdered in the Crucible, so long as there was fresh air in his lungs and sunshine on his back. He kept telling himself that he was earning favors so his people could survive; but, in truth, that was only a secondary goal. Roran's real aim was to get out of this dungeon.

Closing his eyes, Roran thought back to Kell's fight with Duran, what he'd seen of it before he'd been forced to fight for his own life. Kell wielded her spear as though it were part of her body. She'd made similar comments herself and Roran almost never saw her without the spear in her hand. The only time he had, she'd been naked. Flushing, Roran pushed the images of Kell out of his mind.

She was as comfortable on the battlefield as she was at the dinner table. She was also surprisingly tidy. It appeared she bathed immediately after her bouts in the arena and disliked being dirty. Which was odd given her profession. Her spear was spotless and sharp, which was no surprise, but her clothes were just as clean, despite running around in the dirt all day. Kell was a series of contrasts that Roran had yet to figure out.

"Do you want food?"

Cracking an eye open, Roran saw Sephyr standing over him.

"No," said Roran.

"Going to eat when you're on the surface?"

Roran didn't respond. He didn't want to admit that he was eating better food than anyone else down here. Instead he rose to his feet so he could be on the same level as Sephyr. Even standing, Sephyr was a little taller than him. Maybe if he had a good pair of boots they might see eye to eye. Roran doubted it. The people of Millgrove would look down on Roran for the rest of his life.

"How's Toth doing?" asked Roran.

"He's alive. The medicine the clerks brought has been helping. Murrin has been bitching about it since he handed over the favors. I'm sure he'll find a way to blame it on you."

"He always does."

"Did he sleep with your mom too?"

A bang from the hallway spared Roran from having to answer the awkward question.

"I think that's her," said Roran, and he headed for the door.

The sound of swift footsteps and the rhythmic thump of a spear on ground announced Kell's arrival. She outpaced the warden and reached the door well ahead of him. Spotting Roran, Kell grinned through the bars.

"Good to see you again. Wow this place still smells like shit. You ready to go?"

Roran nodded.

Sephyr stepped up beside the Roran. "I'd like to go too. Will you take me with you?"

Kell raised an eyebrow and gave Sephyr a once over.

"No," she said.

"Why not?" asked Sephyr. "Why Roran and not me? I'm a better hunter and more skilled as a fighter."

"Because you ran," said Kell. "You saw Gress carving into your stupid little friend and ran away with your tail between your legs."

For the first time in years, Sephyr showed some emotion. He glowered at Kell and leaned into the bars, staring down at her. "He was a champion that shrugged off multiple strikes from a sword and ax as though they were nothing. Anyone would have run."

Kell grinned. "Roran didn't. So far, Roran has faced two titled champions head on, and both times he's walked away alive. I don't need a skilled fighter, I need someone with guts and tenacity. Someone who can look at an impossible situation and find a way to overcome it. Someone who can face down death and keep their wits about them. Not someone who turns tail and runs."

Sephyr's grip on the bars tightened, but he didn't respond. The warden showed up and unlocked the door, swinging it open. Keeping an eye on Sephyr, Roran stepped through. Sephyr continued to glare at Kell but he stayed where he was.

Kell grinned and did an about face, her spear thumping cheerily on the ground as she began heading back down the hallway. "Let's go, Roran."

Roran hustled to keep pace with Kell. It always surprised him how fast she moved despite her small frame.

"Um...Kell?" said Roran.

"Hmm?"

"Everything you said about me...I um-"

"I meant every word," said Kell, "I don't blow smoke or stroke egos."

"Well, it's just that not everything you said is true."

"Save the humility for someone that isn't spending a bunch of money on you. Your best bet at survival is convincing me you shit gold bricks, whether or not it's true."

"Oh, okay." Roran didn't know what else to say except, "thank you."

"Don't thank me yet kid, I still need to teach you how to fight."

They made the rest of the trip in silence. When they stepped out of the arena, and into the fresh air and sunshine, Kell stopped and let Roran have his moment. He let his head roll back and filled his lungs with. Everything he'd been through in the last week was suddenly worth it, all for this moment.

Looking over at Kell, Roran caught her grinning.

"You dungeon fodder sure do love fresh air," she said.

"Do you blame us?"

"With how bad it smells down there? Not in the least. Come on, let's head into town."

"To the bathhouse?" asked Roran.

"Not yet. No point in taking a bath before you get dirty and sweaty anyways."

"So where to?"

"To the King's Arena. I want to introduce you to Nul and show you around our home. Then we'll teach you how to kill someone properly."