Chapter 106 - To Kill a God

(1)

Nul sat cross legged on their desk, staring at diagrams on the wall. They had long since stopped seeing the diagrams and were staring through them, trying to imagine answers to an impossible problem.

We need more of us, said Akanos.

"That's not possible," Nul replied absentmindedly. They weren't particularly interested in Akanos's thoughts on the matter. Sharing the same brain as Akanos, Nul already knew that the ancient librarian wasn't motivated to provide real help with their current predicament.

A properly tuned godspell would allow you to temporarily create clones of yourself from soulstone. That should work.

"That would take years to work out," said Nul.

You're overestimating yourself. It would likely take a decade or two. Still, I don't have anything better to do if you'd like to start on it now.

"I already know how you feel about our current task," said Nul. "No need to be sarcastic."

I just don't like the idea of walking to our mutual death. There is so much more we could do, so much more we could learn. We don't need to be slaves to the lyhlim.

"I'm going through with this, whether it kills us or not. If you wish to be freed, simply ask and I will do so."

Oh please, if you were to release me I would discorporate within a year. And that's only assuming the lyhlim don't tear me apart first. I hate how they hover about us now.

"Rath is keeping an eye on Roran, the others are there to help him and us. We'll need them to defeat the Kings."

"I like to think that I'm watching all three of you."

Akanos shrieked inside Nul's head, making them wince in pain. The old remnant slipped deeper inside Nul's etchings, as though trying to bury himself in the sand. Nul turned to see Rath standing in the room behind them. He was giving them a quizzical look.

"Apologies for the intrusion," said Rath. "I knocked but you didn't hear me."

"It's fine," said Nul. "What is it?"

"Don't people normally sit at their desk, not on it?"

Nul stared at Rath for a moment, confused. It didn't help that there were a dozen other people standing behind the old lyhlim. They weren't real, just hallucinations from Akanos's past, but they were still distracting.

Shaking their head, Nul said, "Sorry, I was just spacing out. I wanted a closer look at the diagram, that's all."

Rath frowned, his face creasing with worry lines. Nul hadn't expected the caretaker of the lyhlim to look so worrisome all of the time. Before meeting Rath, Nul would have guessed that the overlord of death would be a giant beast made from bone and shadow, capable of killing entire cities with a single gesture. They would have expected the great caretaker to be imposing and powerful and terrifying, not a worrisome old man with a kind face. Then again, Rath appeared how Roran expected him to appear, and Roran always did see the kindness in people.

"You know, Nul, I can tell when you're lying. Even when it's a little fib."

"Right. I guess I'm just spaced out."

"You have a lot on your shoulders. It's understandable that you're struggling with the stress. You should try accepting help from those around you. There are many who would be more than happy to lend their aid." Rath paused, his expression changing to one of indecision. He waffled for a moment before saying, "I can't go into detail without crossing a personal boundary, but I think your mother would be a source of support, should you choose to reach out that is."