Chapter 90 - Mandella

(1)

Roran pressed his face into Sarah's hair and breathed in her scent. It was the scent of the ocean, of a beach on a calm day. It was a clean and comforting scent, one he'd quickly come to cherish. Sarah shifted against him, her body stretched out across his own. Roran was grateful to have her back with him.

She was once more manifesting a body around him. The cracks that had once covered her from head to toe were no more. Her skin was whole and unblemished, as though the injuries had never even happened. The physical wounds, such as they were, were gone, but the emotional pain was still there.

Sarah had been clingy ever since she'd returned to Roran's side. She not only stuck to his shadow, but she'd started manifesting whenever they were alone together, or as alone as they could be while sharing a cabin with the other two. Roran didn't mind. He liked having her close. He enjoyed the feel of her body against his, of their skin pressing together. Much like her, losing Karyn had made him clingy. He wanted Sarah close to him, somewhere he could hold her and keep her safe.

As they lay together, silently enjoying each other's company, Kell let out a loud snore and rolled over in her bunk. She'd been asleep for days. After single-handedly laying waste to the enemy encampment, Kell's steel hand had fallen off and she'd collapsed, completely unconscious. Nul had carried her back to the rendezvous point where they could haul her back up to the ship.

The godspell had worked. It had worked a little too well. Kell was once more a terrifying warrior. She had always been strong, even without her hand she was stronger than Roran, but she had her edge back. She wasn't timid or scared anymore. The only problem was that using the godspell gave her a time limit. She had to finish up her fight before the drain became too much for her and she passed out. A problem for them to work out as they went.

"Merem is coming," said Sarah, her voice soft, sleepy almost.

"Any idea why?"

"He has a map in hand. He probably wants to discuss your mission with you."

Roran let out a sigh. Merem loved talking to Roran. Merem liked talking in general, the man was in love with the sound of his own voice, but he seemed extra keen to talk with Roran. Likely because they were scheming together to assassinate his boss.

Roran climbed out of bed and started putting his clothes back on. He was only half dressed when Merem knocked on the door and subsequently pushed it open without waiting for an answer.

"Do you lot do anything other than sleep?" Merem asked, his grin crooked and his hound on his heels, looking just as annoyed with Merem as Roran was.

Roran glanced at Sarah, still laying in the bunk. She waved him off, a silent gesture that Merem wouldn't be able to see her.

"Kell wiped out an entire army," said Roran. "I'd say she's deserved her rest."

"Fair enough. You three did well the other day. We received word from Orlas that Ahndor herself was pleased with the results. It's the first time I've ever heard of her speaking positively about someone."

Roran grunted. "Kell deserves the praise, and the rest."

"Well, she'll need to wake up soon. You three have work to do."

"Is that what you came here for, to discuss our assignment?"

"Aye. Shall we do that here or in my cabin?"

"In your cabin," said Roran. "Give me a moment to dress and I'll meet you there."

"I can wait," said Merem, leaning against the doorframe.