Chapter 36 - Kellsinora of Uhlara

(1)

The fight went out of Kell the moment she saw her mother. Within minutes she'd agreed to come home and they'd been bundled into a carriage. The sight of the carriage had almost sent Kell into another panic attack, but at her mother's urging, she relented. It was a tight fit with Perri, Karyn, Darling, Kell and their mother but Karyn squeezed in close to Kell, holding onto her arm tightly. After a few brief exchanges, Kell had fallen silent. She stared out the window as the carriage rolled along the streets, watching the city go by.

As awkward tension filled the carriage, Darling attempted to break it with small talk.

"Karyn, allow me to properly introduce our mother, Rosalina Cataegis. She and our father run Cataegis Industries. Mother, this is Karyn, a Talyrian Priestess."

"I haven't heard of the Talyrian religion before, what's it like?"

"It's a non-deific religion with an emphasis on interpersonal connections between both people and the world around them."

"...I see...and how did you meet Kellsinora?"

"I offer therapeutic services. Kell was in need of them from time to time. She's the strongest person I know so I asked her to stay by my side and look after me." Karyn squeezed Kell's arm. "I couldn't ask for a better companion."

Kell offered her a small smile before looking back out the window. The city hadn't changed much, though it seemed bigger now, more full of buildings and pipes and vents.

"I'm just grateful Darling found you," said Rosalina. "You would have come and gone if it wasn't for her." Her voice cracked and she placed a hand to her chest, swallowing a lump. "I can't believe I have both of my daughters home safe."

Kell clenched her teeth, a knot forming in her stomach. She should have avoided Darling. She shouldn't have given her the chance to talk. She shouldn't have agreed to get in this stupid carriage.

The carriage turned off the mainstreets and headed out towards the snowy edges of the Rim, away from the glow and steam of the inner city. Fairy rocks lit the streets as they went but the glow became dimmer and dimmer.

Frowning, Kell pointed at a park lit by fairy rock and surrounded by low stone walls. "I remember that park."

"Oh yes," said Darling, "we used to play there all the time. We would read and study until we got bored, then I would chase you around the park until our dresses were dirty and Perri would scold us."

"Was it always lit by fairy rocks?"

"Fairy rock? You mean the glow stones? No, I think they used gas lanterns until a few years ago. The stones are easier to maintain."

Kell grunted.

The carriage rolled on. Darling tried to make more small talk, but Kell was lost in her childhood memories and their mother kept sniffling and fighting a bout of hiccups as she processed the return of her daughter.

The carriage slowed as it passed through a set of large, iron gates. It swung around and stopped in front of a large mansion. Perri opened the door and the four stepped out after him.

Kell stared up at the mansion in front of them. She'd forgotten how big it was. They weren't the richest family in the Upper Rim, but they had money and influence. Perri opened the front door.

Darling and Rosalina swept inside while Kell hung back. Karyn stayed by her side, her hand finding Kell's and giving it a squeeze. Perri motioned for them to come forward.

"Although I have my reservations," Perri said with a sideways glance at Kell, "Welcome home, young miss."

Swallowing, Kell stepped across the threshold, returning home for the first time in well over a decade.