Chapter 18 - Family (4)

Carrick hadn't been exaggerating, Roran sat in the waiting room for hours. Above him he could hear the thrum of the audience, cheering and stomping as events unfolded in the arena. He hadn't intended on eating any of the food, not after his big breakfast, but after a while he gave in and started picking over the offerings.

After what felt like an eternity, a knock sounded from the door.

Roran's heart leaped into his throat. He turned to face the door, his hand on his sword for reassurance. This was it. Time to face his biggest challenge yet.

"Yes?" he called.

The door opened and a grinning face appeared.

"Hey kid, long time no see."

"Chase!"

Chase spread his arms out and Roran hugged him gladly. The warden thumped him on the back.

"Damn good to see you kid. Honestly, I thought you were going to die but you've been doing great out there." He laughed. "Between you and the hounds, my poor heart has been pounding nonstop."

"How are the hounds?"

"Good, great really. The king loves them. He ordered two additional demonstrations on top of the planned ones. I had to scramble to put on a show for him both days. Thankfully I don't have anything scheduled for today so my poor doggos can get some rest."

"I'm glad to hear it. How's Herda?"

"Grumpy and ornery, so the same as always."

"That's good. It's really good to see you again Chase. After you told me not to compete I was worried that you were mad at me for participating anyway."

Chase shrugged. "I was just worried is all. Still am to tell you the truth. Today is going to be rough on you."

"So I keep hearing. Are you busy today?"

"Yeah, I have to catch up on my other work since I was too busy showing off the hounds for the king. Thankfully we didn't have any combat demonstrations. I'd hate to have to lose any of my doggos."

Roran winced, the thought of the hounds having to fight in the arena turned his stomach.

"It was close though," Chase continued. "King Tasos really wanted to see them in combat; but between my horror, and the aides urging him to reconsider, he decided against it. I hate risking good warhounds in games like that."

"I'm glad it worked out."

"So, how are things with your people? I bet they're pretty happy with you after all the favors you earned for them."

Roran winced. "I uh...it's been complicated. I recently learned some stuff and it's caused problems between us."

"I'm sure it will work out. Once you win the Iron Gauntlet and free them, they'll be groveling at your feet for forgiveness."

"I doubt that."

Chase opened his mouth to speak but his stomach let out a loud growl. Looking embarrassed, he laughed. "Sorry about that, this is supposed to be my lunch break." Eyeing the food, he asked, "You don't mind if I..."

"Help yourself, I had a big breakfast."

"You're the best kid." Chase attacked the food, loading up a large plate.

Before he could start eating, another knock sounded from the door. Roran's heart rate shot up again. This was it.

"Hey Chase, you in there?" came a voice.

Chase swore. "Yeah, I'm here."

"We need you in the armory."

"I'll be there in a minute." Turning to Roran, Chase shrugged. "Sorry kid, looks like my lunch is being cut short. Good luck out there today."