Chapter 10 - Aftermath

"Come on," said Nul, standing out of the seat and heading for the exit. "We'll find her with the medics."

As Roran rose to follow Nul, Morena said, "Get a good hard look at her, kid. Get a good look at the future you're signing up for."

"It's better than the alternative," said Roran.

Morena shrugged. "Have it your way. I'll see you in the Crucible, kid."

Down below, the fighters began making their way out of the arena. Kell, being Kell, simply jumped off the blue tower, falling several stories to the ground. As the fighters left, the buildings began to crumble one by one, turning back into rock and sand and falling back to the arena below.

Nul led Roran through the twisting maze of the arena, down to floor level and from there to a hallway guarded by another sentry. Nul flashed their coin and gave their name and the sentry let them pass. Down the hallway was a series of doors. Chalk had been used to scratch names into the door. They stopped the one marked, "Kell."

Nul knocked and a voice yelled for them to enter.

As they entered the room, they found a grinning Kell. "Well you two are quick, I just got here myself."

The room was small but spacious, with a few stools sitting against a wall and a bench full of medical supplies. Kell was sitting on a cot built into the wall. Nul grabbed a stool from along the wall and sat next to Kell, Roran followed suit.

"How's the hand?" asked Nul.

"Hurts." Kell raised her bloodied hand. It was a swollen mess.

"I didn't design those markings to punch through stone."

"Hey, it worked out in the end."

"Barely, you let Barron goad you into a fight."

"He started it."

"That was the point! He started it and you took the bait."

Kell stuck out her tongue and Nul groaned, dropping their face into their hands.

"That was an impressive throw," said Roran, hoping to change the topic before it could escalate.

Kell beamed. "I know right? Nailed that bitch from halfway across the arena. The new strength markings work great."

Still scowling, Nul said, "Good. And the protection markings?"

"Good where they're effective." Kell gestured to her face and wiped some blood from her eye. "They did a great job with my body and ribs though."

"And your organs?"

"Fine...I think? It doesn't feel like I'm bleeding internally."

Nul nodded. Pulling out a notebook, Nul began jotting down notes.

"So," began Roran, "focus markings give you extra strength?"

"Yup!" Kell flexed a bicep. "They make me damn near unbeatable."

"They increase her strength and agility," said Nul, not looking up from the notebook. "These markings in particular greatly improved her arm strength and jumping abilities. The markings along her ribs, abdomen, and spine are defensive, protecting her from blunt force trauma. The blue and red swirls arrest motion inside her body, to prevent the forces she exposes her body to from rupturing any organs. What they don't do, however, is protect you from your own stupidity."

Kell flexed her bicep again. "Unbeatable!" Despite the blood running from her face and the mangled mess of her hand, Kell was grinning from ear to ear. She had a twinkle in her eye, something Roran hadn't seen before. After a moment, Kell said, "Where the hell is the medic? I want to get out of here and take a bath."

"I'll go check," said Nul, standing and heading to the door.

After they left, Kell turned to Roran. "How awesome was I? Pretty awesome, huh?"

"You really like fighting, don't you?"

"It's the one thing in this world that I'm good at."

"Why?" asked Roran.

Kell's smile faltered. Recovering, she said, "Because I want to kill the gods."

"You said you wanted to kill the gods because you were good at fighting."

"You don't miss much, do you kid?"

"You don't have to answer, I was just curious."

Kell sighed. "Sorry, it's a long story."

"There are a lot of those in this city," said Roran, thinking of Karyn and Chase and Nul.

Silence stretched between them. Kell looked at the wall, then the door, then the ceiling. Anywhere and everywhere that wasn't Roran.

"Your plan was good," she said, "Sorry I didn't stick to it."

"You're the expert here. You know how to handle those situations best."

"Not really. I'm good at fighting, amazing really, but I can't do much but pick fights head on. I need help strategizing and planning. I need someone that can help me beat people stronger than I am." Grinning again, she looked at Roran. "That's why I need you."

The door opened and Nul returned with a medic.

"Thank the gods, finally. Can I get some drugs already?"

The medic mumbled an apology and began going through his equipment, pulling out bandages and bottles of medicine. Uncorking some bottles, the medic began mixing together a salve. Nul returned to the stool and found a place on the wall to stare at.

"How should we celebrate after this?" asked Kell. "I say we rent out the golden bathhouse, get a few bottles of wine and some good food brought to us, and then pick up some help to scrub my back along the way."

Nul didn't respond.

"Or, after a bath, we can head to the Crown and Blade and spend our winnings in style. Or what about the Golden Maiden? They have the prettiest girls and softest beds in the city."

Nul kept staring at the wall.

"Is everything okay?" asked Roran.

Nul shook their head.

"Oi, what's got you spaced out," said Kell.

The medic took another stool in front of Kell and began wiping blood from her face. The medic looked tired and was covered in blood not their own.

Frowning, Kell said, "What's up with you? Why are you covered in blood?"

"I was helping another patient," the medic said. He started applying salve to the cuts on her face.

"Who bled that much?"

"Barron," said Nul.

Kell scowled. "That bastard got what he deserved. Kicking me where it hurts and then getting all flighty when I finally take him seriously. I can't believe him, picking a fight with me when he's supposed to duel Timara in an hour."

"He won't be fighting Timara," said Nul.

"Why not?"

"He's dead."

Kell winced. "Oh, oops."