Chapter 68 - Old Acquaintances

(1)

A rhythmic knocking pulled Roran out of his sleep. He ignored it and thought of the days they spent on the road, camping outside and sleeping under the stars. They were rarely in a hurry back then. They could enjoy lazy mornings, sleeping in until the sun chased away the morning dew and birds were greeting them with sweet songs.

Even then, they would often laze about, lying awake in their bedrolls. Roran would curl up with Sarah and watch the clouds drift overhead. Kell and Karyn would slowly start making idle chatter, easing into their playful banter for the day. Nul, who never seemed to sleep, would brew coffee or tea, whichever they happened to have on hand, and the five of them would come into the day on their own terms, smiling and laughing and looking forward to a day full of adventure and exploration.

Roran missed that. Those days on the road had been some of the best days of his life. He would have liked to keep traveling, but the more they traveled the more they heard of the Empire's expansion. The more they heard of people being forced from their homes, of more provinces being forced to surrender food and resources to the military so it could continue its never ending campaign against the rest of the world. The Kings were hungry, and someone had to deal with them. At least, they had to try.

The knocking came again and Roran rolled over. Sarah was sitting next to him in the bed so he wrapped an arm around her and squeezed her close.

"It's Karyn," Sarah said softly.

"I know," Roran said. He could tell it was Karyn from how gentle the knocking was and the playful rhythm it tapped out.

The door opened and Karyn came in. Roran caught a brief glimpse of Sarah standing next to Karyn before she melted back into the shadows. It had been weird at first, seeing Sarah appearing in two places at once, but now it was part of her charm.

Karyn came and stood next to the bed. She gave his shoulder a gentle shake.

"Wake up, sleepy head."

"No," Roran said, and pressed his face into Sarah, as if he could hide from Karyn.

"Yes," said Karyn, and she ripped the covers off the bed.

Roran let out a groan while Karyn barked out a laugh and Sarah snickered.

"I didn't know you were the type to sleep naked," Karyn teased.

Roran grumbled and sat up, pulling the sheets back up around his waist indignantly. "I only do when I'm in my own bed, where people aren't likely to walk in on me."

"Oh don't pout, we've seen each other naked plenty of times by now."

Roran grunted. After traveling together for a year, there had been many such encounters that were simply chalked up to existing in close proximity to one another. While Roran was more modest than the others, he wasn't as perturbed by it as he'd once been. Likely because Kell was so blase about nudity and Karyn was the least judgemental person he'd ever known.

"Are you here to chat or should I get dressed?" Roran asked.

"Both," said Karyn. "I need your opinion on something and possibly your help."

Roran settled back into the bed, leaning against Sarah. He motioned for her to continue.

"It's part of that thing I mentioned earlier," Karyn said. Roran nodded. Karyn had been working on a secret project for a little while now. It had kept her busy ever since they returned to the city.

"I see. How can I help?"

Karyn gave him a quick explanation of what she needed and how she wanted to go about it.