Chapter 13 - Preparations (5)

Finding a bathhouse near the apartment, Kell rented a large bath for the two of them. She was quick to strip down and jump in while Roran struggled to undress. Not out of shyness this time, but simply because his hands were sore and his body was exhausted from the day's training. After a few minutes of effort, Roran managed to peel off his clothing and fall into the tub.

Kell laughed at him. "Not going to take off your bandages first?"

Wincing, Roran looked at his hands. The bandages were soaked and immediately started coming off in the water. Moving slowly, Roran peeled the bandages off his hands. To his surprise, the skin underneath was mostly healed. It still stung when he put it under the water, but he discarded the bandages and decided he would be fine without rewrapping his hands.

Kell lounged about in the water, taking her time to wash herself. She had a soft smile while she bathed, humming softly to herself.

"You really enjoy bathing," said Roran.

Kell nodded. "Of course. It's warm and comfortable, and everything smells good. You can get food delivered or get company to join you. Baths are the best place for relaxing and enjoying yourself."

Roran nodded, then asked, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Why are you so obsessive about being clean?"

Kell's smile vanished. She sat up in the bath, hugging her knees. "I don't know, I just like being clean. Doesn't everyone? Are you going to tell me you like being covered in dirt in grime after living in the dungeons?"

Roran shook his head. "No, sorry I didn't mean to upset you. I was just curious."

Kell hugged her knees tighter. "Did Nul tell you?"

"No, they actually told me not to bring it up, your cleanliness I mean."

"Heh, yeah that sounds like Nul. They're always trying to look after me. I didn't have a great start in life. I don't like talking about it. It left me with some...habits. Being clean is one of them."

Roran nodded again. "Sorry, I won't bring it up again."

"It's okay, I'm sure you'll find out sooner or later."

"But it doesn't have to be today."

Roran flicked some water at her, hoping to break the tension. She offered him a small, sad smile, and flicked some water back at him and they let the conversation drop.

After getting out of the tub, they dried off and headed back to the apartment, stopping briefly to collect some food along the way. Entering the apartment, Kell called, "Hey, we're home. We got dinner."

"I'm in the workshop," Nul said, "I'll be out in a moment."

A few minutes later, Nul joined them at the table where they had set out a handful of fresh baked rolls, some sliced meats, and a handful of cheeses. Kell also had a skin of wine but she was the only one drinking.

"Here, I got everything on the list," said Nul, placing a small bag on the table. "Are you sure this is for medicine?"

"I think so? That's what they told me. Our herbalist requested it and I'm told she's the best."

Roran took the bag and slid it into his pocket. The two favors hadn't gotten them much, but Nul had found a little of everything on the list.

"Alright, now that we have that squared away," said Kell, "You can tell your burden to buzz off while we get you into fighting shape. How are your hands feeling?"

"Sore but okay. Most of the skin has grown back."

"Perfect, we'll go back to swords tomorrow then. If you don't ruin your hands again, then we'll be able to keep working on your swordplay until the event."

Kell went on and outlined Roran's schedule for the next couple of days. She planned to run him ragged until the day before the event. Roran would get one whole day to recover and rest, then it would be showtime.

Exhausted and sleepy after a large meal, Roran headed home early. As soon as he returned to the dungeon, he tossed the bag of herbs to Kamil. She picked it up without saying a word and that was the end of it. Roran avoided everyone else and curled up against the wall to sleep.

The next morning he returned to Kell who continued to run him through sword drills and calisthenics until he was sore and aching and wanted to throw up. They then bathed, ate dinner, and Roran returned home to sleep. The next day, Roran woke up and started all over again. By the third day, he struggled to keep pushing forward. He hurt and was tired and just wanted to sleep. On the last day he was woken up by Murrin.

"Move boy, you're in the way!"

Murrin shoved Roran with his foot and forced him to move away from the wall. Bleary eyed and confused, Roran looked up to see Toth and Sephyr drilling with Dorval again. They had the sword and shield, his sword and shield, and were working through some swordsmanship exercises.

Roran went to the door and sat down, waiting for the rations cart to come, and watched the drills. Dorval's exercises were based on smooth motions and fancy footwork. It looked nice but Roran didn't think any of it was practical. The fancy swordplay wouldn't be much help when fighting two or three people with different weapons.

Still groggy from sleep, Roran looked out through the bars, down the hallways where the wardens guarded the gate to the stairs.

"Looking for something?" Yora had appeared next to Roran. "Haven't seen you around much lately."

"Busy training with Kell. She's a harsh teacher."

"I don't doubt it. Has she been treating you well?"

Roran nodded. "I'm supposed to meet with her again today. How long until the rations come?"

"They came and went while you were sleeping."

Roran swore. He was late to meet with Kell. Pressing his face against the bars, Roran spotted the wardens standing guard at the gate. He stuck his hand through the bars and waved, hoping to get their attention. They didn't react.

Afraid he would miss his last day of preparation, Roran stuck his fingers in his mouth and whistled, the shrill sound echoing throughout the hallway and the neighboring dungeons. The wardens jumped and looked his way. Roran stuck out his hand, holding his marker medallion out for them to see.

One of the wardens nodded and waved, moving towards the dungeon with his keyring in hand. Roran pocketed the medallion and glanced back. Murrin was staring at him, his eyes cold and hard.