Chapter 9 - The living storm (5)

On the announcer's cue, the glowing orbs flared to life, extending tendrils of wispy light that reached out and wrapped themselves around the champions. It swirled around their wrists before withdrawing, leaving a glowing band of red or blue to denote who belonged to which team.

The bell rang and the crowd cheered and the fight began. The fighters peered over the edge and readied their weapons. Some leaned in close to chat with one another. Others stood by themselves, not interested in attempting teamwork.

With a blue wisp of light circling her wrist, Kell shot off like an arrow, ignoring her teammates and leaping from the tower. She flew through the air, her spear out and a wild grin plastered to her face. She hit a nearby roof and rolled. As soon as she was back up, she leapt again, jumping from roof to roof in quick succession.

Her teammates followed after her in a much more subdued manner. Checking their jumps and pausing after they landed to prepare for the next one. One man remained next to the orb. He wore thin robes and carried a scimitar. He folded his arms across his chest and waited for the enemy to come to him.

Leapfrogging from roof to roof, Kell made it to the lowest part of the valley. She paused, surveying the town around her and the ascent she would have to make to reach the red team's tower. In front of her, three champions were leapfrogging their way down to the valley to meet her.

From up in the stands, Nul placed two fingers to their neck and muttered, "Jorgen is guarding the flag, Lira and Barron dropped below the roofline and are working their way through the structures themselves. Kamren is avoiding you and circling high. Two fresh titles are heading straight for you. I don't know them or their abilities."

Kell acknowledged this with a curt nod and focused on the two new champions coming for her. They made no attempt to hide their intentions. One, a lithe woman wearing a thin skirt and loose top, led the charge, a pair of hatchets in her hands and swirling patterns of gold covering her arms from wrist to shoulder. Behind her came a man so short he looked like a dwarf from the tales of old. He had a big bushy beard and wore an odd collection of armored plates over his body. He carried a dagger and a single-handed hammer.

Kell leapt upwards, her legs propelling her higher than a human should have been able to jump, bounding her way up the valley a story at a time. She paused as the woman closed in on her. The woman paused a couple rooftops away.

"I come for your life, living storm!" she said, brandishing her hatchets. She reared back and hurled one of them at Kell, full force.

Kell grinned as the hatchet came straight at her. With a deft hand, she snatched the hatchet out of the air and hurled it back at the woman. The woman growled and ducked out of the way as her own hatchet whizzed over her head. Kell followed after the hatchet, crouching low and launching herself into the air, leaping towards her attacker.

As she drew close, Kell lashed out at the woman swinging her spear around in a vicious arc. The woman staggered out of the way. She tripped and fell backwards, but rolled and was on her feet again in moments. Kell pressed the woman, striking out at her with a series of quick jabs and forcing her back towards the ledge of the building.

Just as Kell was about to force the woman off the building, the short man leapt onto the roof and attacked Kell from the side. Kell pivoted out of the way, avoiding a hammer strike to the head. She kicked at the man and sent him reeling backwards. The woman took the opportunity to strike, lunging at Kell and closing the distance.

Kell tried to swing her spear but the woman was too close. The woman swung her hatchet, aiming for Kell's neck. Kell threw herself backwards, the blade just nicking her throat and drawing blood. She hit the ground and slid. She rolled backwards and onto her feet. The man and woman squared up with her, weapons in their hands and blood in their eyes.

"Kell," said Nul, their fingers once more at their neck, pressing the small sigil behind their ear, "quit screwing around. Kameron and Lira are almost at your flag. I don't know where Barron is."

Rolling her eyes, Kell sighed.

"Something the matter?" asked the woman. "Do you finally realize how much danger you are in? I have come here for your life and I will not leave without seeing you in a pool of your own blood."

"Oh come on, my bounty isn't that high," said Kell, rolling her shoulders and taking a wide horse stance.

"I don't care about your bounty. I'm here for revenge. I'm here to make you pay."

Kell cocked an eyebrow. "Lady, I don't even know who you are."

"Olivia," said the man, "don't let her bait you."

The woman, Olivia, ignored him.

"Maybe this will make you remember." She pulled on a chain around her neck and drew a pendant out of her shirt. The pendant was gold with swirling markings. "Do you remember this?"

"Nope," said Kell, and she lunged at the pair.

This time, Kell moved like the wind, swirling low and swiping upwards with her spear. Olivia attempted to block the attack but the sheer power behind Kell's blow tore through her guard and the spear slashed through her leg. Without slowing, Kell spun again, this time bringing the spear downwards on the man. He tried to scurry backwards but Kell was as quick as lightning. The spear hit one of his armored plates, leaving a deep gash in the heavy steel and sending the man tumbling backwards. He rolled once, twice, then a third time right off the ledge.

Olivia stumbled to the ground, clutching her leg. Kell calmly walked over to her, her spear dripping blood.

"I don't know who you are," said Kell, "Or what I did to piss you off, but you had best let it go. Coming after me will only get you killed."

"Screw you, living storm! I won't rest until you are a bloody mess on the ground-"

Kell kicked the woman, sending her tumbling over the ledge after her partner. Sparing a glance upwards, Kell saw that her other teammates were engaged with the enemy. Kameron and Lira were both fighting the other blue team champions. The man with the scimitar continued to stand and wait for the fight to come to him.

Turning her gaze to the red orb floating up on the opposing tower, Kell caught sight of Jorgen. He was older, with salt and pepper hair and a collection of scars. Kell grinned at him. He blanched. Slowly, Kell began leaping upwards from rooftop to rooftop, making the climb out of the valley and towards the red orb.

Halfway there, she had to get a running start to cross an extra large gap between buildings. As her feet touched down, the roof below her cracked and collapsed, and Kell fell through, into the waiting arms of Barron the berserker.