Chapter 28 - Departure

(1)

Kell kicked open the door to the apartment, tossing her spear into a corner as she headed for her favorite spot on the couch. Once Roran and Nul were inside, and the door was shut, Kell said, "I don't like him."

"He was unnecessarily troublesome," said Nul.

"I think he's just concerned about me," said Roran. "I'm not an experienced Champion like you two."

"You earned your title," said Kell. "You went through more than most Champions to get it."

"Fighting in the Crucible is different from fighting in a war," said Roran.

"If we're careful, we may not have to fight at all," said Nul. "This is an infiltration, not all out warfare. We get in, find whatever knowledge about crowns we can, visit Phalyn, then we leave."

"We're supposed to do some military stuff too," said Kell.

Nul shrugged. "Secondary objectives."

"What's going on?" asked Karyn, coming out of Kell's bedroom and descending the stairs.

"We're discussing our future plans," said Nul.

"Oh, are we getting a ride to Uhlara?"

Kell winced. She glanced at Roran and Nul for support. Neither of them said anything. "Um, sort of," she said.

Karyn cocked her head, waiting for Kell to continue. Kell turned to the other two again.

"Either of you want to explain?"

"Explain what?" asked Karyn, putting her hands on her hips.

"Well...it's a delicate mission that requires...subtlety. Only skilled fighters can go. The commander almost didn't let us go because he didn't think Roran was good enough."

"So?"

"So we can't take you with us," said Kell.

Karyn folded her arms across her chest. "Well I'm not staying here."

"Yes you are."

"No I'm not. You're the least subtle person I know, there's no way I'm letting you go into enemy territory without my support."

"We can't just take you with us."

"Why not? You're taking Sarah, aren't you?"

"Uh..."

"Sarah," Karyn called, "Are you going with them?"

Sarah appeared next to Roran, standing slightly behind him, trying to hide from Karyn's glare. "I'm bound to Roran's shadow, so I am going, however I don't think-"

"It's settled, Roran's girlfriend gets to go, so I'm going too."

"That's different," said Kell. "She can become invisible."

"I'm not actually visible in the first place-"

"I can hide in the shadows too!"

"I don't actually hide, I just-"

"You can't go and that's final!"

"It's not final because I'm going!"

"I won't allow it! You're staying here!"

"Or what, you'll spank me?"

"It wouldn't be the first time."

Nul stood up. "I'll be in the workshop if anyone needs me."

Both Kell and Karyn ignored them, continuing to glare daggers at each other.

Seeing that Sarah had lapsed into sullen silence over being ignored, Roran tugged on her sleeve.