Chapter 93 - An Offer & Chapter 94 - Sailor's Melancholy

(1)

Kell found herself in a warm bed, which was strange. The last thing she remembered was wreaking havoc through the streets of Mandella and tearing their defensive forces apart. It had been a massacre. She felt guilty, not because of all the people she'd killed, but because it hadn't bothered her. Any part of her conscience capable of feeling remorse for such things was dead. This was war and she wouldn't mourn the people trying to kill her, even if the fight was entirely unfair.

Kell wasn't surprised that she'd lost consciousness. She'd equipped her steel hand and the godspell had drained every last ounce of strength from her body. What did surprise her was the bed she was lying in. It was significantly larger and more comfortable than the bunks aboard Vassilis's Spear. She was in some form of house or inn.

Crawling out of bed, Kell searched the room for food. Given the accommodations, someone friendly had tucked her in, likely Roran or Nul, which meant someone was probably bringing her food. To her disappointment, she came up empty handed.

"They're getting lazy," Kell muttered. "Could have at least left some bread or water."

While the search for food didn't turn up anything edible, it did turn up her clothes, steel hand, and weapons. Kell's sword looked worse for wear, but it was a convenient weapon, so she buckled it around her waist and left the room.

Outside her bedroom was a long hallway with carpeted floors and tasteful decorations. The walls held portraits of people and a variety of ships. Based on the decoration and layout of the hallway, Kell guessed that she was in someone's home.

She picked a random direction and began prowling through the house in hopes of finding a kitchen. The interior was in good condition, spared from the fighting earlier in the evening. Kell paused by a window. It was light outside but the sun was setting. Ash was falling from the sky like snow. Kell was high up enough that she could make out the burnt husks of buildings lost in the siege, now dead and cold. She'd been asleep for more than just one day.

"Oh, you're awake."

A soldier stood at the end of the hallway. She was tall and her armor was heavily decorated. Likely a high ranking officer in the King's Army.

"Is there food?" asked Kell.

"Yes, um, I need you to talk to the General." The officer kept staring at Kell with a strange look on her face. "I'll, um, take you downstairs and then fetch you food."

"Food first," said Kell.

"I'm sorry, but I have orders to take you to the General as soon as you're awake."

Kell glared at the woman. It was tempting to ignore her and keep searching for the kitchen, but it would probably be faster to just go along with her requests.

"Fine," said Kell. "But I'm starving and in a shit mood."

"I understand, I'll have some food brought to you as quickly as I can. Do you want to put on something a little more..."

"Either lead the way or I'm going on my own."

"Right," she said, "please follow me."

The officer led Kell down a few flights of stairs. The decor stayed much the same as the moved from floor to floor, though many of the rooms changed purpose and style. They were in a mansion, one reminiscent of Kell's old home.

"Here we are, please have a seat."

The officer had led Kell to a sitting room. There were couches and comfy armchairs. Several more officers were waiting for them, all of them in dress uniform and standing around their General. They stared at Kell in shock as she entered.