Chapter 66 - The Pantheon

(1)

Roran carried Karyn while Kell limped along beside him. The healers had patched him up but he was still sore from his encounter earlier in the morning. None of the pain bothered him nearly as much as seeing the injuries on Karyn.

Karyn was one of the toughest people Roran had ever met, but she wasn't a Champion. The few etchings she had were for small things like communication and handling severe weather. In terms of combat, she was fragile compared to everyone else.

Beside him, Kell was still pouting. Roran wanted to lecture her, to yell at her, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Kell's rage radiated off of her in waves. He doubted anything he said would get through to her.

Nearing the apartment, Roran asked, "Sarah, is Nul home?"

"Yes, they're expecting you."

Kell visibly relaxed a little.

Nul met them at the door. They gave Roran and Kell a once over with a raised eyebrow. Roran was still covered in blood and soot, while Kell was a mess of blood, dust, and cuts. The long gashes on her chest and back were still bleeding.

"You two look like shit. Who's going first?"

"Karyn," Kell said immediately.

Nul nodded. "I expected as much. Set her on the table."

Nul had already prepped the dining table by laying a sheet over it and laying out various medical supplies. Nul's etchings stretched and shifted as Roran carefully set Karyn down. They laid a gentle hand on Karyn's cheek.

"What happened?" Nul asked.

"Timara picked a fight," Kell said, "She got in Karyn's face and-"

"I don't care about how it started, I care about what happened."

Kell sighed. "Single strike to the face," she said, shame in her voice. "Timara was using her etchings."

Nul nodded. "Why does she smell like ale?"

"Timara threw a tankard on her trying to provoke me."

Roran grit his teeth as rage coursed through him. His frustration with Kell began to fade. Were their positions swapped, he may very well have done the same.

Nul didn't say anything, they simply nodded again and began to draw symbols on Karyn's cheek with gossamer threads. Completing one design, they moved from Karyn's cheek to her forehead, drawing small concentric patterns along her brow. The swelling was already beginning to fade.

"How did the fight go?" Nul asked.

"How do you think?" said Kell.

Nul shrugged. "I don't know how badly you injured Timara."

"I didn't," Kell snapped, her voice ragged. "Roran's new girlfriend got in the way before I could do any real damage."

Nul glanced up at Roran.

"Pelkha broke up the fight," he said.

"I see."

"Where the hell have you been anyways?" Kell asked, rounding on Roran. "We haven't seen you in days."

Roran bristled at Kell's comments. "I've been doing my job, the one we all agreed would help get us closer to bringing down the Kings."

"And that requires spending every day with Pelkha?"

"I'm not-" Roran cut himself off. Taking a breath, he said, "Kell, I'm not your punching bag, take your anger somewhere else."

"Oh, so now it's my problem?"