Chapter 16 - The troll's gambit (1)

The wardens came late in the morning, before rations were handed out but after everyone was awake. They came with a clerk bearing a ledger. He cleared his throat and said, "I'm looking for Roran Aur-"

"That's me!" Roran interrupted the clerk before he could finish. "I'm Roran."

The clerk raised an eyebrow. "Right then. Impressive performance yesterday. Will you be continuing on to the second round?"

Roran nodded.

"You are aware that you will not be able to withdraw after this. If you choose to continue on, you will be forced to compete until only one of you remains."

Roran nodded again. "I know, either I win or I die."

"If you're certain, then we will move forward. Will you need loaner weapons for the next round?"

Roran glanced across the dungeon to the weapons that had been taken from him. Before he could say anything, Murrin stepped up beside him.

"Yes, he will need loaner weapons."

Roran bit his tongue before it could get him in trouble and simply nodded.

"Fine, you'll be coming with us then."

The warden unlocked the door but Murrin stepped in the way before he could leave.

"We'll be attending," he said, gesturing to the others that had watched Roran's last fight.

"Someone will fetch you when the match is about to begin. They are still cleaning up the last match and preparing for the agility course."

"We can wait with Roran then," said Murrin, doing his best to sound official.

"No," said the clerk, "you can't. If you'll excuse us, we're on a schedule. Roran, please follow me."

Once more Roran tried to pass through the door and Murrin blocked him.

"Now hold on a moment, you can't just dismiss us like that!"

The clerk sighed. "I really don't have time for this. Warden, if you'd be so kind."

One of the wardens started unsheathing his sword. At the sight of naked steel, Murrin scampered backwards, fear flashing across his face.

"Roran, please follow me," the clerk said again.

Roran nodded and hurried out of the cell and after the clerk. The warden slammed the door shut behind him. As the clerk started down the hallway, Roran glanced back at Murrin. Him and Kamil were conversing in hushed tones. Roran couldn't make out any of the words, but the argument was heated. Kamil saw him looking and snapped her mouth shut, glaring at Roran as he walked away. Deciding he had better things to worry about, Roran pushed the encounter from his mind and hustled after the clerk.

"May I ask where we're going?" Roran said in what he hoped was a polite tone. He didn't want to anger the clerk any further after Murrin's antics.

"To a ready room. You'll be able to pick out your weapons there. There will also be refreshments that you can enjoy while you wait."

"Thank you."

They finished their journey in silence, the clerk leading him to a room furnished with couches, rugs, and a table with a small selection of food and drinks. Along the wall was a collection of weapons. The armaments were simple but well maintained.

"We'll come fetch you before the round starts," said the clerk, and he departed.

Roran went to the weapons first. There was a short sword and buckler. The sword was a little too heavy for his liking but the buckler had straps to lash it to his arm so his off hand was free. Both were better maintained than the garbage he had been using, though they still didn't feel as good as the ones Kell had picked out for him. He'd have to get those back one day.

Armed, Roran took a moment to pick over the food. He was hungry but his nerves made it hard to eat. He forced down food anyway, it would be better than going hungry. Fed and armed, Roran sat down on one of the couches.

After a few minutes, Roran stood up and started pacing, then he sat back down again. He tried lying down but got sick of that in only a few minutes. Finally, Roran sat on the floor and started going through the breathing exercises his mother had taught him, slowing his heart and calming his mind.

He was certain that Morena would be competing in this round. There was also the question of Jorgen. He'd competed in the first round but he might have been like Duran, competing for a little extra cash then dropping out before the stakes got too high. There was also the question of the other refugees. The first round had ended with a lot of survivors, Roran could be facing a lot of competition.

Roran decided that his best course of action would be to kill Morena this round. Catching the cruel swordsman off guard during an agility contest would be more effective than meeting him in an even fight. It would also prevent Morena from going after Karyn between rounds as a way to emotionally wound Roran. He didn't know how he would do it, but Roran had to kill Morena today.

A knock came at the door. Roran climbed to his feet.

A warden poked his head inside. "Roran Aurandale?"

"That's me," said Roran.

"The match is about to begin, please follow me."

Roran followed after the warden who led him to a large wooden door with sunlight bleeding in through the gaps. The warden shoved the door open and gestured for Roran to follow. He led Roran out into the arena, where several other gladiators were already waiting. The ground was compacted again, as smooth as stone.

Encircling the arena were large, metal basins. Above each basin was a placard with symbols etched into them. The warden led Roran to one.

"Stand here until the match begins. The announcer will explain the rules."

With that, the warden left.

Examining the basin, Roran found it to be completely plain save for the contents. Inside was a blunted hook on a loop of rope. The placard was similar to the basin, plain metal with a series of symbols etched into it. He pulled out his marker medallion and compared the symbols. They were identical. The placard was etched with his name.

Turning, Roran looked out across the arena. There were a couple dozen other placards surrounding the arena, most of them with combatants standing in front of them. On the other side of the arena, standing directly opposite him, was Morena.

Morena grinned and winked at him. Roran tightened his grip on his sword. He was going to kill Morena today.