Chapter 12 - Turning point (3)

The next day Roran left as soon as the rations were handed out. He waited by the bars until the clerk and warden came close then, being discreet so Murrin wouldn't see, he flashed them his marker medallion. The clerk nodded and waved him through as soon as the gate was open.

Seeing him leave unescorted, Murrin called out in surprise, "What, he can just leave?"

"We have no right to stop him," said the clerk.

"Well then I'll be leaving as well!"

"We have every right to stop you," said the clerk, and the warden dropped a hand to his sword.

Inching back, Murrin yelled after Roran, "You better not run away boy! It would bring shame to your mother!"

Despite the mounting urge to run back and punch Murrin in the teeth, Roran pressed forward, heading up the stairs and back out into the world. He made a beeline for Kell's apartment, worried that she might leave for the day if he didn't hurry. He made it to the massive building and bounded up the stairs two at a time. Finding the apartment, he started pounding on the door and was greeted by a frazzled Nul.

They blinked at him, their eyes bloodshot. "I wasn't expecting you," they said.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude."

Nul shook their head. "It's not a problem, come in."

Roran entered the apartment and was greeted by the smell of cooked meat and fresh bread. Kell was in the kitchen, frying some strips of ham in a skillet.

"Well look who decided to join us for breakfast. If I'd known you were coming I would have made more."

"It's okay, I don't mean to impose," said Roran, trying not to impose, but his stomach growled at the scent of real food.

Kell laughed. "Don't bother lying to me, I know you dungeon fodder don't eat well. Sit down, we're happy to share."

Nul led Roran to a table and bid him to sit. Kell cracked a handful of eggs into the pan, a soft smile on her face as she poked and prodded at the pan. Over the sizzling of the ham and eggs, Roran could almost hear her humming.

Nul, on the other hand, was slouched in their chair, sulking over a steaming mug.

"Is everything alright?"

"Don't mind Nul," said Kell, "They're always grumpy in the mornings."

Nul rolled their eyes but didn't argue.

"Nul stays up all night reading and drawing new patterns for focus markings, so they're always tired."

Kell dished up three plates of food and brought them to the table. She placed a plate full of meat and eggs and bread in front of him.

"Thanks," he said, taking a bite.

"Always happy to share. You want coffee?"

Roran shook his head, shoving more food into his mouth. It was simple but it was good, like a meal his mother would make before they rushed off to the market for the day, or when they had a long day of chores ahead of them. Plain food, easy to make but tasty nonetheless.

"It's good," he said.

"It's easy but filling. I rarely have time to make the good stuff but I like to play around in the kitchen when I have the chance."

Kell picked up her fork and stabbed a slice of meat. Roran paused, frowning.

"Your hand..." he said.

"Huh, oh yeah. Good as new."

Kell held up her dominant hand. Despite having been shattered against stone a couple days prior, it looked perfectly fine, with only a few faint lines to show that it had ever been injured at all.

"My healer is pretty great. I got lucky when I found her. I could be pulled apart, limb from limb, and she'd still be able to put me back together."

"That's an exaggeration," said Nul.

"Not by much. So, now that you've had time to think about it, how did you like the fight?"

"It was..." Roran paused, considering his words. He wanted to give an honest answer, for his own sake more than Kell's. "It was terrifying. I didn't know humans were capable of such feats. And watching you kill a man scared me. I know I've seen you kill before, but you weren't so angry then."

Kell flushed and gave Roran an embarrassed smile. "Yeah, that wasn't one of my better moments. He managed to get under my skin. I don't normally lose my cool like that."

"Are all matches like that?"

"It depends on the event and the line-up. Things usually get a little hectic whenever I participate in a team-battle."

"That's because you have a reputation for destroying everything in your path," said Nul.

Kell stuck her tongue out at him.

"I simply move forward, if someone gets in my way, well that's their mistake. But, to answer your question, no, matches aren't always like that. Sometimes they're better and sometimes they're worse. Does that scare you?"

"A little," said Roran. "I don't know if I can keep up with you. I'm not a skilled fighter."

"How many times do I have to tell you, I don't need a skilled fighter. I need someone that doesn't back down from a challenge. I need someone that can do the impossible."

Roran nodded. He didn't think he could do the impossible. It had taken everything he had just to survive. But maybe that was enough.

"There's a special event happening in the Crucible next week," said Roran. Licking his lips, he added, "I've already signed up for it."

"Well that's convenient," said Kell. She grinned over at Nul who scowled into their coffee. "It saves me the trouble of trying to badger you into it. I already know about the event. Nul and I have been debating pushing you into it for a while now, but it seems like that debate has been settled. So, I take it you're here for advice and training?"

Roran nodded. "I don't know much about the event, just that I'm likely to die."

"That's an understatement. They hold these events every few months or so. This one will be three games, with the last one being a total deathmatch. There will only be one winner."

Roran swallowed. His chances of survival were starting to shrink.

"The first game is a round of keep away. They drop a bunch of orbs onto the field, the same ones they used in capture the flag, and the goal is to have one by the time the round ends. Anyone holding an orb when the bell rings receives a nice little prize, and everyone that's still alive is allowed to move on to round two. Here's the thing, this is the only chance to drop out. If you decide to move on to rounds two and three, there's no backing out. Either you win, or you die."

Nodding, Roran asked, "What's game two?"

"I don't know yet, it might be an obstacle course or a team battle. Either way, the point is to slim down the numbers. They don't want round three to be an all out bloodbath like the Crucible. You should be fine for rounds one and two, it's three that will get you into trouble."

"Why?"

"Because champions usually compete in these events. There's a good chance you'll be going head to head with someone like Duran or Jorgen. Still want to participate?"

Swallowing the knot in his throat, Roran nodded.

Kell grinned. "Good, then let's get to work."