Chapter 61 - Saboteurs

(1)

Roran's first assignment came a few days later when he was out getting breakfast. Roran had taken to walking the streets in the morning and buying breakfast from various bakeries and vendors around the city. He was enjoying the early morning sun and a fresh kabob when a clerk stepped out in front of him.

The clerk was taller than most and had a more robust figure under his robes.

"He's armed," Sarah said, "Though he doesn't appear malicious."

The clerk didn't say anything. He simply handed Roran a gilded envelope.

Roran accepted the envelope and the clerk simply walked away, disappearing into a dark alley.

"So that's what they have Sephyr doing," Roran said.

"Among other things," said Sarah. "The shadow clerks handle all unofficial business and the messier jobs that need to be taken care of. The King's have a hand in everything that happens in the city, including the things that happen in the shadows. Even the blackmarket has to pay their share of taxes."

Roran nodded as he opened the envelope. The gilded paper still seemed excessive to him. He'd given the last one to Nul and would likely do the same with this one. At least then they would be studied and broken down for their gold. No need to waste the wealth.

Leaning against a shop wall, and out of the way, Roran read through the letter. He frowned.

"I'm to meet with a field captain immediately. This is short notice, how did they find me?"

"You're carrying a tracker on your wrist," Sarah reminded him.

Roran held up his wrist, examining the golden bangle. The scrollwork appeared to be decorative, rather than a set of focus markings, but there was always the possibility.

"The material is bound to a central node," Sarah explained. "Nul has used similar techniques. I think they have tracking tablets in the Sanctuaries."

"You think?"

"I can't get in them, remember. Not unless I'm in your shadow, and even then I have to stay in your shadow."

"Is there any way around that?"

"Not unless you want to start breaking the defensive markings they have set up. Though I doubt they'll let you get very far with that."

Roran grunted. "A problem for another day. Let's go find our field captain."

Roran wandered through the streets until he found the nearest pair of city guards. They gave him strange looks until he raised his wrist, showing off the golden bangle. The moment they saw the sign of the Kings, their attitude changed. Not only did they become much more polite, they offered to escort Roran to his destination posthaste.

They led Roran to a small outpost within the city. The outpost had the basic necessities for guards to do their jobs: scrolls, journals, and a small cell. There was also a lounge where a captain of the guard was waiting with two Champions. Both of them wore bangles identical to Roran's.

One of them sat on a sofa while the other leaned against a wall, looking out the window. The one on the couch was large, with heavy leather armor and a sword resting against his knee. The sword was odd, twice as wide as a normal one and half the length. The one at the window was tall and lean, wearing black gauntlets of indeterminate material.

The man on the couch looked up at Roran, scowling. "So you're the fresh meat. You don't look like much."

"Heard he's the youngest in our ranks," said the man at the window. "I'm guessing someone pulled a favor to get you on the team. Who was it? Your mommy or daddy some rich noble?"