Chapter 92 - Siege

(1)

Over the next couple of days, several ships splashed down to join Vassilis's Spear. A small armada began to form, blocking off Mandella from the rest of the world. A few more ships made a go at Vassilis's Spear; but, between the slowly growing armada and Nul's demi-god abilities, none of the ships were able to do any lasting harm to the Empire's forces.

Each ship that settled into the water next to them had their own crew of Champions. Since the attack on King's City, there had been no shortage of Champions willing to go out and fight those that had invaded their homes.

As the armada grew, the ships began to cluster together. Not tightly, but close enough that a small rowboat could pass between them, trading supplies and, more importantly, people. Once enough ships had nestled in together, Roran and his comrades were ordered to leave the ship and board a battle-scarred Man-o-War that had landed earlier that day.

They left under the cover of darkness, using the Man-o-War's bright lanterns to guide them like moths to a flame. Merem, and the soldiers he brought along to row, wore their dress uniforms, their brass pips and medals shined to a mirror polish.

Roran and Nul stayed in their usual attire, though Kell had opted to don her social prosthetic. She called it her drinking hand and attached it to the steel bracer Nul had made for her. It wasn't much good in a fight, but Kell would be able to throw back glass after glass of booze and that was all she cared about for the evening. Kell had been even more eager to drink since watching Nul's display of power when they first landed.

Arriving at the massive warship, the soldiers tied off the boat while Merem ascended a rope ladder that had been set out for them. Kell followed after, climbing surprisingly fast for only using one arm. Then went Nul, who made a token effort of looking like they were climbing while it was painfully obvious that they'd adjusted their buoyancy and were floating up the side of the ship more than anything.

When it was Roran's turn, he started up the ladder, then began to dawdle. When he was a comfortable distance away from everyone, he paused and whispered, "Is Ahndor on this ship?"

"No," said Sarah. "Though there are several familiar faces."

Roran started to ask another question, but Merem leaned over the railing and yelled, "Hurry up, we're all waiting on you!"

Roran swore under his breath and hurried up the ladder.

The deck of the ship was full of people. Had the ship not been so massive, it would have been crowded. As it was, the great Man-o-War must have been carrying several hundred people. They were an eclectic mix of soldiers, officers, ambassadors, and Champions. The Champions stood out the most. While the Army personnel and the ambassadors all wore uniforms, the Champions wore armor and weapons completely unique to each one of them.

Roran wasn't surprised when he saw the stout form of Merrigold and his companions, Yuusa and Huffgah. Krys and Tristan were also among the present Champions, Krys in her revealing light armor and Tristan with his light armor and awkward smile. Tristan spotted them and waved at Kell, though she didn't seem to notice.

There was one Champion he was surprised to see.

"Rhout," Roran called, raising a hand in greeting.

Rhout returned the gesture and wandered over to greet them.

"The prodigal tactician," Rhout said. "I haven't seen you since the invasion."

"We've been busy."

"So I've heard. Pelkha was furious that you walked away from your post. She won't tell me a damn thing, but she did mention that you work for Vassilis now."