Chapter 11 - Hounds (3)

Roran found Chase at the kennel, collecting supplies and putting them into a handful of bags. He grinned when he saw Roran approach.

"There you are. Well, how was having a hound at your side for the night?"

"Warm," said Roran. "I can't recall the last time I was actually warm down there."

"What, they don't give you blankets?"

"They did, but we let the old and the sick use them."

"Sounds like you need to start earning some coin and get your own supplies."

Not wanting to explain that his own people would steal the clothes off his back if they wanted to, Roran just shrugged and said, "It's not a big deal. What are we doing today?"

"Kid, you are in for a treat," said Chase, waggling his eyebrows. "I just learned that a few of these dogs will be shipping out today."

"Shipping out?"

"Yup. Three of these doggos will be heading out to join the armies. They'll be guarding a couple of new captains that are stationed near a warzone."

"The war is still going on?" Visions of soldiers marching through his hometown came to mind. Their red and gold armor gleaming in the sun as they took control of the small town and kicked people out of their homes.

"The war never stopped. The King's Empire grows a little bigger each day, and they need as many hounds as I can get trained up. Come on, we're burning daylight. Grab that sack and follow me."

Roran did as he was told, grabbing a large sack and hoisting it over his shoulder. Chase opened the kennel and ordered the hounds up the stairs and out into the arena. They chased after them, Herda bringing up the rear as she trotted after them.

The sun had risen high into the sky, blessing King's City with a warm and sunny day. The dogs tore out into the arena, running and barking. Enjoying their freedom from the kennel.

Chase led Roran to the center of the arena and dropped his sack. Roran followed suit. Looking around, he noticed that the arena had been smoothed. The dirt was finer and there was no gravel or rocks mixed in this time.

"Did they change the arena?" asked Roran.

Chase nodded. "Yeah, the special event is next week so they're making everything pretty. They might even cancel the weekly Crucible, there's just too much to get done to clean up after that fight and get the ground clean again."

Roran nodded. There went his pay for a week.

Chase opened one of the bags. He started pulling out large swaths of leather, along with some buckles and straps, and a few lengths of metal.

"What are those for?" asked Roran.

Chase grinned at him. "Have you ever been a chew toy?"

"Uh..."

"Come here, this will be fun."

Chase had Roran stand near him with his arms out. Chase started by laying the metal against Roran's arms and then wrapping them up in the leather. Finally, he used the straps to make sure everything stayed tight and secure. Once Roran's arms were thoroughly covered and bound up, Chase did the same to his chest and neck.

"This is how we train some of the dogs. Don't worry, the leather will soften the blows and the steel will keep them from actually biting you."

"Uh..."

"Don't worry, it will be fine. I'm sure you won't end up like the last guy."

"What?!"

"Just a joke, a small joke. Anyways, go ahead and stand a little ways away from me. Yup, right there. Perfect. Now hold still and don't resist when you go down."

Chase whistled, drawing the attention of his hounds. He drew his sword and pointed it at Roran. "Alum, takedown."

One of the hounds lunged forward, barreling into Roran. It latched onto his leather clad arm and forced him to the ground, growling and shaking. The hound's bite was intense, even through the leather and the steel. The massive warhound took Roran down with ease. Roran went limp, letting the dog do as it pleased and not fighting back.

"Alum, break."

The hound released Roran and returned to chase.

"Good boy!" Chase fed Alum a couple of meaty treats. Looking down at Roran, Chase said, "See, not so bad is it. A little jarring, I know, but he didn't actually hurt you."

"He would have if I wasn't padded."

"That's sort of the point," said Chase, laughing. "Okay, ready to go again." Climbing to his feet, Roran swallowed his anxiety and nodded. Chase grinned at him. "Attaboy. Okay, start running, any direction is fine."

Roran picked a random direction and started running. Behind him he heard Chase say, "Torra, takedown!" followed by the sounds of a hound chasing after him. Roran ran as fast as he could but went limp the moment the hound latched onto his arm. He went down to the dirt, protected by leather padding, and the hound climbed on top of him, keeping his arm firmly gripped in its jaws.

"Torra, break."

The hound let go and returned to Chase.

"Ready to go again?"

Roran climbed to his feet and nodded. He took off running and Chase sent another hound after him. They repeated the game over and over again, each time the hound dragging Roran to the ground as soon as it caught up to him.

After a while, Roran got comfortable with the pattern the hounds used, the way they lunged at him and where they aimed on his arm. On a whim, Roran tried to evade one of the hounds. As it neared him, he twisted, pulling his elbow high and out of reach. The hound's jaws snapped shut just behind his arm. Roran felt a surge of satisfaction as the hound dropped to the ground without him. The satisfaction was short lived as the hound lunged again, this time grabbing Roran's arm and dragging him to the dirt.

Chase called the dog off and Roran climbed back to his feet, dusting himself off.

"Ready for something scary?" asked Chase.

"What's that?

"It's the kill command. The padding and armor will protect you, and I'll call them off the moment they make contact, but it's still terrifying to see a King's Hound lunging at you full force."

"I mean, if you think it's safe."

"It's mostly safe, but I won't force you to play chew toy if you're worried about it."

Roran looked at the hounds. They were trotting around and sniffing and being generally doglike. Cute and fluffy. Despite the fact that they had been chewing on Roran and dragging him to the ground he still found them cute.

"Okay, let's try it."

"If you're sure."

"I am."

"Here we go then." Pointing his sword at Roran, Chase said, "Alum, kill."