Chapter 57 - Homecoming

(1)

The door creaked open with a sigh. The apartment was just as they'd left it a year ago, calm and quiet and clean. Sunlight filtered in through the window, giving the living room a gentle glow. They were home.

"Scoot," said Karyn, and she nudged Roran aside, her arms overflowing with groceries.

"Sorry," said Roran, and he followed after her, setting his own armload of goods down on the kitchen island.

Kell walked into the center of the living room, looked around, and sighed. She tossed her spear into a corner, dropped her bag to the floor, and flopped face first onto the couch.

Nul made a beeline for their workshop. They gently opened the door and paused. After a quick visual inspection they relaxed. They entered slowly to continue their inspection, but the anxiety appeared to have left them.

Roran helped Karyn refill the ice chest and pantry with food then dragged his own bag upstairs to unpack. His room was sparse but welcoming, with its little desk, the small bed, and a trunk for his clothes. Sarah was already lounging on the bed when he came in.

"I'm not going to miss sleeping on the ground," she said.

"You're the one that chose to sleep at all."

"Hey, we're supposed to mimic humans, and what's more human than sleeping?"

"Being comfortable," Roran said as he pulled off his coat.

After hanging up his traveling coat, Roran unbuckled his sword and shield and hung them up as well. Then he pulled the dagger and knife out of his boots, followed by the handful of gossamer stones Nul had given him, little spells ready to activate at a moment's notice. Disarmed, Roran undid his leather chest guard, his bracers, his leg guards, and finally his armored boots.

"You didn't carry half of that stuff when we first left here," said Sarah.

"I didn't have half of it. I also didn't know how to use half of it back then."

"Being a mercenary was good for you. You certainly grew into the role."

"It was fun, but I'm ready to be off the road. If only for a little while."

"What's the plan now?"

"For now, the plan is to get some food and some booze and some sleep. My feet have been killing me for the last month."

"Then why did you get armored boots? I told you the soft traveling boots would be more comfortable."

"Because the armored ones are better for when I'm being attacked by bandits, thieves, remnants, and reanimated corpses."

"Don't forget the fel hounds, trolls, and giant rats."

Roran shuddered. "Please don't remind me. I can still hear the crunch the rats made when I kicked them."

Sarah laughed. She appeared next to him and kissed him on the cheek. "Come on, Karyn is already pouring drinks."

Heading back downstairs, Roran saw that Karyn was already pouring several mugs of wine. Sarah was sitting on the couch next to Kell while they both yelled for Nul to join them. Roran settled down on the couch while Karyn brought over the mugs of wine. Begrudgingly, Nul came out of the workshop to join them.

Roran leaned back and closed his eyes, enjoying the ambience. He was so comfortable he could almost fall asleep. He started to drift off until Kell nudged him in the ribs.

"Oi, go to bed if you're going to sleep."

"Sorry, just glad to be home."

"And here I thought you were becoming a wandering mercenary, guided only by your feet and paying the way with your sword."