Chapter 45 - Phalyn the Spear Maiden

(1)

This time, Darling watched Kell and Karyn change. She wasn't willing to part from Kell's side for even a moment, lest her sister wander off for another decade or two. Kell begrudgingly put up with. She already knew her sister would be joining them for this sojourn. If nothing else, she was glad one person in her family would see her full fighting prowess.

"Jeremiah is waiting at the stables," said Sarah.

"I invited him," said Darling, "I thought it would be good to have another man come along."

"Why?" asked Kell. "We've got Roran, besides, why would we need a man at all?"

Darling shrugged. "He was available and interested. Our parents allow us unfettered time together so I thought having an extra pair of hands around would be good."

"She doesn't trust Roran," said Sarah.

Darling winced. "How do you know that? Have you been eavesdropping on me?"

"Not intentionally."

"Sarah isn't human, remember? Her perception isn't limited to the body you see before you."

"That doesn't make it okay to eavesdrop on conversations around you!"

"They aren't happening around her," Karyn explained, "They're happening within her. Think of Sarah as a cloud of fog. The figure you see is just for convenience. Her real body is much larger and she's aware of everything that happens inside it."

Sarah sniffed. "While not a perfect analogy, I suppose being a cloud of fog is better than being a dung beetle."

"I never said you weren't still a dung beetle."

"Oh you ornery little-"

"Ladies," said Kell, "We're wasting time. I'd like to be able to kill a god by sunrise, let's go."

Kell retrieved her spear from where she'd stashed it under the bed. It was a juvenile hiding spot though an effective one. Armed and ready, they snuck through the house. Sarah guided them towards a side door where there weren't any servants that might see them.

Roran was waiting for them out in the stables. Sarah was guiding him through the process of saddling a horse. Jeremiah stood off to the side, watching half amused at Roran's halting efforts.

Upon seeing Sarah in the stable, Darling whirled around, looking at where Sarah had been behind them just a moment ago. She was still there. Sarah cocked her head in a silent question. Darling looked back to the stable where another Sarah was telling Roran how to adjust the strap under the horse's belly.

"Something wrong?" asked Karyn.

"There are two of her..."

"There's only one. Remember, we're inside of her, what you see is just an image for our own benefit."

"But...I...that's..."

Kell patted Darling on the shoulder. "Try not to worry about it too much." Moving into the stable, Kell asked, "What did you do with the boy?"

"He's asleep," said Roran, "I told him I was going out tonight and made him promise not to leave the room until I got back. Then I dosed him with some brandy. He was fast asleep before I was even fully dressed."

Kell nodded. The less distractions they had the better. On that thought, Kell turned to Jeremiah. "Can I go on one outing without you trailing after me?"

"I go where Darling goes. Can't let my fiance expose herself to too much risk."

"I think you're overestimating your abilities. If there's something Roran or I can't handle, then your only option will be to run and pray."