chapter 13

They say
Roses are red, violets are blue, not every love is true.

What I never understood is , why do they need to start a phrase with truth and end with a lie? Are these quotes asking us to be in present , act on upon it and just go with the flow?

" Hmmm..mmmmm..Hmmm." Kainat hummed looking at me with narrow eyes. It's been a month,  Naina was bold enough to hold my hands whenever we went for walk with severus. Today Kainat spotted us red handedly.

" So?." She started conversation.

" What?." I asked her.

" Aren't you going to tell me anything?." She shouted disturbing me.

" Ask your boyfriend to stop kissing you and open his books. If not he will kiss goodbye to this degree he's trying to pursue. " I said looking at her sharply.

" What?!." Kainat squealed looking tensed.

" Look kai I did not kiss a girl but I do know what happens when you do. So stop acting . You are young.  Finish your degree.  Ask him to prepare for entrance exams. His father expects so much from him that you won't understand the pressure now. This lovey-dovey scenes won't be useful to clear those. " I said looking at her.

" We are not doing any such things.  He is studying. " She replied looking at her feet.

" May be these walls will believe you.  Look at his marks. These are just mock exams.  " I threw his paper towards her.

" He passed." She spoke fidgeting with her fingers.

" With grace marks. Stop wasting your time. " I warned her again .

" He is playing with you.  A person who loves you will definitely struggle hard to settle well and take care of his love as well as help her to stand on her feet . " I said grabbing the paper from her hands. Kainat went silent thinking deeply about what I said. If Dakshant is really into her , he wouldn't flirt with girls behind her back. I don't want another episode of Naina with her sister. After my warning he seems to be serious but I will not recommend Kainat to be with him.

" What are you two upto? I saw my sister holding hands with you.  " She spoke .

" Nothing. " I replied.

" I might be getting played by him but if you doing same with her let me tell you.  My parents made me believe that marriages are fake. My sisters suffering made me realise we should not be too blind to accept our reality openly. Looking at you hope sprang in me that maybe I will find or have someone like you who is not manipulative.  But if you turn out to be like them. Remember,  you will be breaking not only Naina's trust,  mine too on every single thing I believe. " With that said she left me alone. 

My situation with Naina is nameless. I never voiced out my feelings as I want her to heal completely.  She might not feel the pressure but I know how bad her days went.  Naina joined an IT company here in Delhi and started learning new skills to enchance her work profile.  She has so much potential to settle well with a person equal to her caliber.  If am just a phase in her healing process,  m glad to be part of it.  But somewhere my heart wants this to be real,  I am tired of being a savior, good Samaritan.  I need her to see me as her equal, be serious with her feelings towards me.  In short I want her to confess first that she loves me.

"And listen. " Kainat came back pushing by door.

" We kissed twice, I know he flirted with that girl . I even know that you gave him warning.  He is careful after that. " She spoke. Looking at her, I smiled.  Kainat is just a kid!

"How did you manage to kiss a boy?." I heard Naina's voice.  Kainat had alarming expression on her face.

"She's just joking.  You know how playful Kainat is. You should study kid. Hurry! Run from here. " I said pushing her away.  Without a word like a kid who stole an ice cream kai ran away not looking back. 

"She is getting mysterious day by day!." Naina commented walking inside.  Folding my sleeves, I adjusted my spects not saying a word. If she did not share with her sister then it's not my place to talk about it.

"So.. are you marking papers?." She asked reading one of them.

"Yes."I replied sitting down. 

She was silent for exact five minutes before speaking up
" My ex husband,  he contacted me. He's on bail , probably willing to pay up all the wedding expenses plus expenses he didn't wish to spend on me in Germany." Naina spoke playing with her fingers.

Bail? Why didnt we press enough charges against him?!

" What do you want? Settle or challenge him in the court ?." I asked her.

" Seriously? I him to pay compensation and rot in jail." She said looking at me.

" My parents they spent so much money to please his family. They dedicated their crucial amt of money,  manual work, grilled their brains out to see that they look after me well." She spoke fidgeting with her fingers.  I couldn't concentrate on her words looking at her fingers , she is always better when we have confessions other than her family. Like Seriously? I don't care what her family did, for me they just executed her royally in the name of marriage .

An innocent soul like her shouldn't have seen this kind of suffering!

" I don't want to listen how your parents struggled Naina. They should have protected you the moment his family demanded things beyond your capacity." I spoke averting my eyes from her delicate hands.

" But Rishabh! They are still my parents." She said looking hurt.

" Not to me." I replied pretty rudely.

" Well, you will understand if you have any." She replied back getting up from her place. Walking out of my house she banged my door hard enough for me to come out of the daze I was pushed into.

Ambulance sirens rang in my head while I was thrown on road somewhere far away from my family. This moments of separation itself pained my heart to an extent that I refused to open my eyes. Dark sky seems to be taunting me thatthat's how my life is going to look from now on. 

" Son! Open your eyes! Child! Please respond! You are safe! Open your eyes!." I heard someone begging me to embrace this harsh reality.

And..

When I did, they informed me my parents are no more. My Beautiful family is no more. Do I consider this as my family ? Does being alone is called family?! Whom do I look up to now?

Tears rolled out of my eyes and spoiled the paper I was marking. It was not it's fault. Only I know what I went through.  Few years ago, whenever I looked at her parents I wanted mine back. My extended family considered me as bad omen and I was happy about it! No extensions , no nuisances. Gathering myself , I did what my job needed me to do before retiring for the day.

'I am sorry. '

Naina texted me. I know I spoke rudely but she didn't have the guts to accept that her parents are at fault too. If she wants her ex to suffer then her parents have equal share in it.  Not minding to reply to her text , I slept imagining I am having conversation with my parents .

***************************

Please vote comment and share my story !