Chapter 111 - Suffering

Start from the beginning

"Lunch was a couple hours ago, and dinner won't be for some time." The Matriarch sighed as she remembered who she was dealing with. "Not that it matters, I'll have some food made up for you two. For now, you both need a bath."

"Appreciate it," said Kell.

"Don't worry about me," said Roran. "I'm going to get some rest."

"You smell like shit," said Kell. "You're taking a bath or you're sleeping outside."

Roran knew better than to argue with Kell when she was in one of her moods, so he shrugged. "Fine."

They trudged up to the washroom on the same floor as their bedrooms. Kell surprised Roran when she followed him into the same washroom.

"I thought you would use the one on the upper floor?" Roran said. It was bigger and more luxurious, normally reserved for Kell and Darling.

"Don't want to run into my sister," Kell muttered as she started undressing. Colored dust fell out of her clothes as she pulled them off, giving more credence to the theory that she'd been thrown through a wall.

"I'll wait till you're done," Roran said.

Kell turned on the water and said, "Get in the fucking tub."

Knowing better than to argue, Roran began stripping down. Already undressed, Kell climbed into the large tub, the water raining down from spouts hanging overhead. She sat down and let the water cascade down her body. Swirls of dirt and dust washed off her in waves. Fresh bruises covered more of her body than Roran realized.

Pulling off his robe and gently wrapping it around his wrist, Roran stepped into the tub after her, the hot water sluicing over his body. Cleanliness wasn't as important to Roran as it was to Kell, but he couldn't deny that the hot water felt amazing after a night of sleeping in the streets.

"What happened?" Roran asked.

"I was fighting."

"In the arena?"

"Yes...and no..."

Roran ran his fingers through his hair. It was longer than he was used to. Karyn used to cut it for him but that had been most of a year ago. All three of them were looking scruffier and scruffier as time passed.

"Who did you go after?" Roran asked, thinking he already knew the answer.

Kell climbed to her feet and grabbed a bar of soap to begin washing herself. "Destra."

"He didn't kill you?"

Kell shook her head. "He said he wasn't allowed to. I wish he had though."

Roran didn't know how to respond, so he didn't.

"I'm the strongest I've ever been and he stomped me down like a dog. I'm the greatest Champion to ever step foot in the arena and I'm a bug compared to him. I hit him with everything I had and gave him little more than a black eye and a cut to the forehead."

"You injured him?" Roran was surprised. "You actually managed to injure a demi-god?"

"Oh fuck off. He was holding back. If he'd been allowed to kill me, he would have ripped me in half without a second thought. I'm useless, Roran. I'm completely helpless. I've dedicated my entire life to becoming the greatest Champion this city has ever seen. And even in claiming that glory, I'm a failure. I'm nothing compared to you and Nul."

Kell's shoulders started to shake and her muscles flexed as she clenched her jaw. Roran realized that she was crying, silently and underwater so no one could see her tears. Stepping in, Roran wrapped his arms around her. She leaned into him, silently accepting his shoulder to cry on. Roran rested his chin on her head.