chapter 28

This... is odd. Even though I asked for this, it's still odd.

I ran my fingers through my currently black hair. It feels off. I asked Merlin to hide my appearance, and she did this.

I now have black hair and am about a foot shorter with softer facial features.

No matter how many times I do this, it still feels strange to run my fingers through my hair. It will work to be fair, I only need to hide from those that seek me out. Namely, whoever is affiliated with that woman who wore the Chinese dress.

_________________________________________

Happy birthday to me...

Happy birthday dear Ruby...

I blew out the candles. Sixteen today... huh...

When did it all fall apart? I... guess it was when yang started drinking. No...

The fall. That was when it all started.

I... just want my family back. But I guess those days are long gone. Dad... is dead. Yang is an alcoholic. Headmaster ozpin is nowhere to be found. Hans...

I... I can't even talk about him...

It's my fault. If I was just patient, I could've saved him. If only I wasn't so proactive.

Mom's gone too. She finally came back, and now she's in a coma. Our eyes...

Silver eyes.

They were what petrified hans. What petrified the dragon. How? I couldn't tell you. And I don't care enough to try and understand.

Nobody to eat this cake with.

What a shitty birthday this is.

Maybe I should work on crescent rose. Try and get my mind off of things.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
There's a knock at the door.

I got up from my seat at the couch. Deep breaths now, I'm just answering the door. I opened the door to the living room and swiftly made my way to the peephole.

Ozpin? What's he doing here? Why's there a bird on his shoulder? Ah, I should let him in.

I unlocked the door, the key still in the lock. As soon as he saw me, I swear there was confusion in his eyes.

"Is... is this a good time Miss Rose? You look rather disheveled." I can see why. I'm stood here on a rainy day in pajamas.

My hair's definitely messy, I haven't brushed it today.

"No. But there will be no good time to talk anytime soon. So, come in. It's raining outside." I left the door open as I headed for the living room.

"If you don't mind my asking, where are your parent's?" Just... just had to ask.

"Dad... is dead. Mom... Mom is in a coma." I didn't have to look to tell that he was regretting asking.

"I... apologies for my crass words. And I hope you don't mind my asking, but how?" Just... stop pushing. Damnit... I thought... I thought I wouldn't cry again.

"I do mind... he was shot. Don't know who, don't know how. I buried him myself." I'm barely holding myself together. What a mess.

"Apologies again." A mess of feathers appeared around me and I found myself with my head buried into someone's chest. This... uncle qrow? Is... where did he come from?

"I'm sorry Rubes. I'm sorry that I wasn't here to help." I... can't do this anymore.

I'm not strong.