Apart

Kazuhikos pov

I returned to the main lobby with a tired sigh. We've spent the past few days looking after the sick, stopping them from leaving or hurting themselves. It feels like I'm a parent!

We both collapsed against those plastic chairs, exhausted.

"I'm *huff* ready to *huff* pass out!" I panted.

"No kidding *huff* I'm starting to appreciate my own parents" natsuki sighed.

We both sat there catching our breath in silence. It was peaceful. Until...

"Do you ever think about her" natsuki didn't look at me as he asked.

"Who?" I decided to clerfy.

"You know, naoko" he gripped his knees nervously. I couldn't blame him. Hearing her name alone is enough to make a lump form in my throat.

"Yeah, I think about her all the time" I smiled sadly "she was so kind and brave. She wanted to stop a tragedy by any means necessary. Sometimes I worry that I disappointed her but that's not the kind of person she was. I think she'd be happy I was even trying, even if I'm a total fuck up!"

"Yeah I hear you" he chuckled softly "but it's not over. I believe we can still beat that bear. All we have to do is work together and believe in the pure hope that resides in our hearts"

"That's a weird way to put it but I agree" I held my hand out with a grin "let's work together natsuki"

"I would be honoured" he shook my hand "now let's check on the sick"

"No rest for the wicked" I sighed as I got up and walked to namikos room. I peeked in and gasped.

"He escaped!"