XXVII

After all of the meetings, the two rulers stay behind in the conference room. One is fuming with rage, while the other is worried about what their next move should be. The news that was shared wasn't very peaceful, and it was kept from the other this whole time. There was a frost ring slowly growing bigger by each minute they sat there. It was surrounding the one enraged. His whole demeanor was cold, while his eyes stayed fixated on the table. The worried one is too afraid to even move. Which is never the case for him. Everything feared him while he feared practically nothing. But the person who sat next to him made him feel fear.

Jungkook opens his mouth to speak but stops. There's nothing he can think to say, and he's never seen Jimin actually mad. Irritated, yes, but so mad he doesn't speak? Never. But the decisions were already made, and troops are moving. Troops have been moving for a while. To keep look, waiting for their signal to attack. Jimin didn't know any of this. He was kept out of the loop. The troops were stationed before their wedding. The planning started after the small meeting spat with the Spints. There was no hesitation to move troops either. They were moving when the two arrived back at the castle that night.

"I know why you did it. I'm not even mad about the decision. The decision was quick thinking on how to protect me. But we took an oath three days ago," Jimin finally closes his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose. "We took an oath to not keep secrets," he turns his head to look directly at Jungkook. The king sat there in silence. His doe eyes watching every movement, trying to read the other's body language. Trying to pick up any idea of how he should respond.

"I-"

"Don't speak until I let you... I am mad because you can't keep things like this away from me. Especially if I am bringing my own troops into this. What if a group was ambushed? I'm your best healer on hand, I wouldn't have been there to help save the people protecting me. What would've happened with you if they were ambushed? Jungkook, we are the ones initiating this war," Jimin's says while looking down at his hands. He can feel tears threatening to fall with the thought of Jungkook being on the battlefield. Anything can happen now. This war could mean losing everything he loves.

Both are silent again. Realization of what's happening now hitting them like a brick wall. Jungkook doesn't want to lose any of this. He has people to call family again after these past few years.  There's more to life than his job to rule. He has someone to specifically look after, to make happy, to make a future with. Someone who wakes up next to him every day, ready to take on whatever comes their way. Someone who will stand by him even through hell.

"I can't lose you, Jungkook," Jimin's voice breaks his train of thought. The blonde is looking anywhere, but the brunette in order to hide his tears. His voice strained with pain, trying to get any more words out. Choking them out, he continues, "I am yours. You are mine... Please promise to never leave me."

Jungkook doesn't even think twice before pulling his husband into a tight hug, engulfing him to make the other feel safe. His head resting on top of the other's while he thinks of what to say. "Jimin, I could never leave you. That's why I have troops willing to risk their lives to protect us. I will be out there with them, as that's my duty, but I promise you that I will be walking away without a scratch." The king leans back slightly to look at his lover. Jimin's face being stuck to his chest. "Look at me for a second." Jimin shakes his head and mumbles a small no. Jungkook uses one of his hands and lifts the other's head. The sight before him broke his heart. Puffy eyes, cheeks stained with tears, and whole face red from keeping it in. "I love you."

That's all it takes for Jimin to completely break down. The silent cry turning into a sob, words being a gibberish mess. His hands clench the fabric of Jungkook's shirt tightly as he burries his face back into the other's chest. He can't lose Jungkook. He's already losing himself at the idea of it. Being a royal meant signing up for these hardships and the idea of losing everything in an instant... but nothing prepares them for losing someone you truly love. Love is treaties and alliances. Royalty meant doing everything you can to better yourself. Better things for your people meant loyalty. Loyalty meant strength. Strength meaning power. Good trade and other armies to support you meant happier people.

But to live in a reality that meant Jimin can actually love his significant other was killing him instead of making him happier. He was, and still is, madly in love and happy that he has the man of his dreams. But he can lose it just as fast as he obtained it. That lingering thought was eating away more than the war itself. He hasn't felt this way since his first ever time trying to court someone. The stress of pleasing his mother and his people. Jungkook was the person to help relieve him of that feeling. He was the light in the dark. But the darkness was threatening to take him away. Slowly swallowing the light again.

Jungkook rubs the other's back and whispers the occasional sweet nothing to help calm Jimin. He doesn't know why his lover is having a sudden outburst, but he doesn't want to risk it getting worse. About half an hour passes before Jimin stops from not being able to cry anymore. He unclinges himself from Jungkook and wipes his face to get rid of any tears left behind. His breathing slowly steadying out at the same time the redness is dying down in his face. A small hiccup escaping occasionally, but he's no longer having a breakdown.

"I-i'm so sorry you had to see this," Jimin says in a small whisper. He has his gaze fixated on his hands once again. Embarrassment filling him up that his mental breakdown was on full display for someone else that wasn't him. That someone had to witness the mess he becomes under enough stress. "This must be awful for you to see. I am so, so sorry. This is my battle, and I had you sit here as support for it... I am so self -"

"Don't finish that sentence," Jungkook cuts off Jimin so he can't hear what the other was going to say. He already knew where it was going to lead, and he didn't want to hear the self-hatred comments. Jimin is an angel, and he'll sooner or later find out why he feels this way. He knew his mother was the cause of stress, but the depression has an unknown root. One day, he'll know why, but he won't ask questions until the other is ready for them."Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. If you have a breakdown and I'm not there to help you through it, I'd be an awful husband."

"Yeah, but seeing me like this adds more to your plate. I don't need you to overfill it because of my own problems."

"Jimin, if I had a mental breakdown... you'd want to be by my side. Right?"

"Yes."

"So why can't I be by yours?" Jimin freezes. He always feels like his issues are a burden to those around him. No matter how big or small the matter is. Yet he'll always be by your side through the good and bad. He doesn't care what the issue is. Everyone is put before him. Not knowing how to respond makes him want to cry again. He doesn't want to disappoint Jungkook.

There's hesitation before Jimin responds. "You're going to be disappointed in my response." Jungkook groans and leans his head back.

"Have your pretty little head stop being so complicated. Answer my question, Jimin." Jimin just bites his lip. He wants to, but he doesn't want others to worry about him. "I will wait until you're ready to respond." The winter user turns pale.

"Jungkook, please don't do that," Jimin pleads. He doesn't want this to become an even bigger issue. Jungkook sticks his tongue in the side of his mouth. The issue is only going to get worse with each passing minute he doesn't respond. It was like he was seven again. Sitting in a room being interrogated about his magic before being forced to sit through these horrendous trials for science. But Jungkook doesn't know this.

Jimin ruffles his hair and stands up, "I don't know why. But please never do that again."