Chapter 65. Linopha

Linopha was with the others inside storm spire.

Zubeia: Ibis was more than a great mage, he was a great friend.

Soren brought the mirror over to them.

Zubeia: Somehow, you have Avizandum's Looking Glass?

Callum: I'm pretty sure that means mirror, right? So, yes. Lord Viren stole it. I never knew what it was or whose it was, until now.

Linopha (thinking): I did.

Zubeia: The looking glass is enchanted and linked to an identical mirror within the magical prison. When no light reflects off its surface, it becomes as clear as a window and you can see directly into the prison itself.

Callum: It all makes sense. "In darkness, gaze upon a Fallen Star."

Rayla: The sun's coming up. It won't be dark enough to see through the mirror.

Zubeia: A little sunlight won't be a problem. Vocare nimbum!

They heard thunder as a storm of clouds assembled over storm spire.

Then the mirror glowed, and soon enough, they could see Aaravos on the other side.

His back was turned to the mirror, but then he turned around and walked up to it.

He gave the group and their surroundings the once over, and suddenly, clenched his fist.

Callum stopped breathing, and collapsed.

Rayla: Callum!

Linopha approached Callum carefully. Suddenly, he looked up, his eyes black and vacant. He stood up, and his eyes started glowing.

Callum paced back and forth across the room.

Then, they heard Aaravos's voice, but he was speaking through Callum.

Linopha (thinking): I see. Aaravos is possessing Callum.

Aaravos: Zubeia. You haven't aged a bit. You look as young and ravishing as the day you betrayed me. So sorry to hear of your mate's untimely and tragic passing.

Aaravos turned to look at Linopha, Callum, Soren, Ezran, and Rayla.

Aaravos: So these are the champions you've gathered to try and stop ME? They're nothing but pathetic children.

Aaravos walked over to Callum.

Aaravos: The whining child king. In over his head and he knows it.

Aaravos walked over to Rayla.

Aaravos: The so-called assassin who isn't capable of killing.

Aaravos walked over to Soren.

Aaravos: The failed son, whose father wishes he had never been born.

Aaravos walked over to Linopha.

Aaravos: The undecided messenger. Unsure of which side to be on, or who to trust.

Aaravos gestured toward Callum.

Aaravos: And my favorite, the human mage, already tainted by darkness and destined to play right into my hands.

Linopha had only heard Aaravos talk for a few minutes, but she could already tell that he was the complete opposite of what she'd heard from Zubeia. He wasn't a lying deceiver. He was brutally honest.

Aaravos: Oh, my time has come. My return to this world is inevitable!

Aaravos opened his hand and released Callum, no longer possessing him.

Callum fell to the ground.

Rayla: Callum! Oh, Callum.

Aaravos waved his hand at the mirror, and it shattered.

They all sat in silence for a moment, before Zubeia let out an earsplitting roar.

Zubeia: This is all connected! Someone is working to free Aaravos! But who?

Soren examined the glass shards on the floor.

Soren: My sister.

Callum: How do you know?

Soren: It's like she said, it's all connected. It must have been Aaravos giving my dad instructions through this mirror all along. Now he's gone. Claudia's powerful, desperate... and she's picking up where he left off. Plus that's her bracelet.

Soren pointed to an emerald-eyed snake bracelet on the ground.

Callum: Then we have to find Claudia and stop her.

Rayla: How? I spent every moment of the last two years of my life hunting for her, and I failed.

Linopha: Maybe you're just incompetent.

Soren: Ouch!

Callum: We don't know where she is, but we do know what she's looking for. We have to find it first. Zubeia, you told us that Aaravos's prison was a secret. That each of the Archdragons had a piece of the puzzle. With their help, could we solve it before Claudia does?

Zubeia: Perhaps. Rex Igneous, the Archdragon of Earth, may hold a clue to the prison's location. Rex lives beneath the great mountain of Umber Tor. Come, we fly. But you stay here, Zym. It is too dangerous. I will not lose you again.

They mounted Zubeia and left again.