Chapter 30. Linopha

Rayla: That's no ordinary dragon.

Callum: Is there such a thing as an ordinary dragon?

Linopha: It's an archdragon.

Rayla: His name is Sol Regem, the Sun King. He was the king of the dragons a long time ago. But he was blinded when the wars began, and he's become a symbol of rage and bitterness.

Callum: Okay, so, an enormous, angry, blind dragon is blocking our path to Xadia. What do we do?

Linopha: Should we fight him?

Rayla: No, we can't fight him.

Linopha: Then let's sneak past him.

Rayla: Okay guys, it's time for you to get your first lesson in the ways of stealth. The secret of stealth is that you don't have to be invisible. You just have to be invisible to your enemy's senses.

Linopha: Well, he's blind, so we don't need to worry about his sense of sight.

Rayla: Exactly. That leaves only two senses we need to fool, hearing and smell.

Callum: Wait, why are those the only two senses we need to worry about?

Rayla: Well, if it gets to his sense of touch, we're in big trouble. And sense of taste? Nice knowing you.

Callum: Got it. All this stuff about senses and appearances, it kind of sounds like moon arcanum stuff.

Rayla: If you say so, mage.

Linopha, Callum, and Rayla started walking across the breach, but when they were about halfway through and began approaching Sol regem, Zym got scared and started squirming and making weird noises.

Linopha: We have to keep him quiet.

Callum: Ez would know how to calm you down, wouldn't he?

Sol regem walked further into the middle of the path, now completely blocking it.

Linopha: Do we run?

Rayla: We'll never make it. He'll just bite us in half or slam us with his tail.

Callum: So, sneaking is out, running is out, fighting is out. What's left?

Rayla: Burning to death?

Linopha: Definitely out.

Rayla: Looks like it's down to my least favorite course of action. Reason.

Linopha, Callum, and Zym stayed hidden while Rayla walked out in front of Sol regem.

Rayla: Mighty Sol Regem, I am Rayla of the Moonshadow elves.

Sol regem: What are you doing?

Rayla: Uh... I am bowing, great dragon.

Sol Regem: No. I mean, why are you here?

Rayla: We have been traveling in the human kingdoms, on the business of Zubeia, the Dragon Queen. We humbly ask your permission to cross back into Xadia.

Sol Regem: What kind of business would send you to the wretched human lands?

Rayla: We are transporting something precious, someone precious. The new-born Dragon Prince, Azymondias!

Sol Regem: Lies! You dare lie to me? The egg of the Dragon King was destroyed!

Rayla: No! Wait! I have him here.