Chapter 61. Linopha

Linopha was standing in Callum's office, examining the mirror. She was just about to turn the lights off when Callum came in, holding a book.

Callum: Linopha? What are you doing here?

Linopha: I wanted to inspect the mirror. Sorry for intruding in your office.

Callum: It's fine, I feel the same way about the mirror. I want to investigate it further.

Linopha wanted to tell Callum about the secret of the mirror, but she'd sworn to Lepidolite not to tell another soul. Linopha planned to firmly stand by that promise, so she kept her mouth shut.

Callum sat down at his desk and flipped through the book.

Callum: I don't get it. This tome seems like it has just about every rune and symbol in history... but nothing matches the writing on the mirror.

Callum suddenly stopped.

Callum: Wait, what is this? The whole last half of the book is empty!

Callum started angrily flipping through the pages.

Callum: Blank, blank, blank, blank, blank, blank. Blankity, blankity, blank! This is... This is not a Tome of Translation. It's barely a Pamphlet of Pathetic! Ugh! Now what? I was so excited about this book, this incredibly rare tome from Xadia. I was sure it would translate the symbols on the mirror, but no luck. And half the book is blank!

Some ink dripped onto one of the blank pages. The same ink spot appeared on the page next to it.

Linopha: Hold on Callum, maybe the blank pages are to write on, and it magically translates it on the other side!

Callum examines the ink spot on the book.

Callum: Linopha, you're a genius!

Callum grabbed the ink and stuck a quill in it, prepared to write.

Callum: Am I about to vandalize an ancient book? I guess it wouldn't be the first time I accidentally on purpose ruined a super rare magical artifact. Okay, here goes.

Callum began writing in the runes on the mirror, and they reappeared on the other side.

As soon as he finished, Linopha noticed the runes swirling on the other side and revealing what it said.

Callum: It worked! The tome is giving us a translation!

Linopha: In Darkness, Gaze Upon a Fallen Star.

Linopha walked up to the mirror.

Linopha: In darkness, gaze upon a Fallen Star...

Bait growled. He was looking at the cube.

Linopha followed his gaze. For the first time from what Linopha could remember, the star rune glowed.

Suddenly, a small creature grabbed the cube and scampered away.

Callum: What was that? Where did it go?

Linopha grabbed a candle and waved it around the room. Then she noticed someone step in the window.

It was Rayla.

Rayla: Hey.

Linopha's blood boiled.

Linopha: What do you mean "hey"? How about an apology for disappearing for two years? And an explanation?

Callum: Rayla, what are you doing here?

Rayla: I came back.

Callum: Yeah. I can see that.

Rayla: All day, I've... I mean, all week really, I've been so nervous and kind of edge-frazzled, you know? But now finally coming back, I feel... still nervous.

Linopha: I'm going to bed.

Callum: Me too. We have a long day tomorrow.

Rayla: Wait, what? We haven't seen each other in two years. Don't you think it's worth staying up a little past your bedtime?

Callum: Why are you back? I guess you must have found Viren? Was he dead after all?

Rayla: I didn't find him.

Callum: Oh. So you disappeared for two years for no reason at all. And who's this?

Callum pointed at the creature on Rayla's shoulder.

Rayla: This is Stella. She's a wee cuddlemonkey. I found her all alone, she's an orphan. Anyway, guys, I know my leaving confused you.

Callum: Maybe. You know what? I already told you, I don't want to talk.

Linopha: Me neither.

Linopha left Callum's office and went back to her room to go to bed.