43. I'll Be Home for Chris

"Listen, we still have to get a few more things, and we only have a week until Christmas," Street reminded Chris as they climbed out of their Jeep in the HQ parking lot.

She reached to take her husband's hand and laughed, "You know, we can't spoil the kids so much. Maybe we shouldn't go overboard with Christmas this year."

"I'm not going overboard, babe. I'm just making sure our kids enjoy the holiday!"

"I get that you want to make sure the kids have the kind of Christmas you never had growing up, but all I really want, and all we really need, is for us to be together," she reminded.

"So, growing up, there was never something on your Christmas list that you wanted but never got?"

Chris huffed, "Maybe...so what?" She questioned.

"Didn't that kinda ruin your Christmas for you?" He pressed.

"I got over it," she replied.

"Did you? So, you wouldn't mind telling me what it was," Street urged.

"It's not a big deal."

"Then just say it," he said and stopped walking.

She stopped walking, too, and searched his eyes. Chris sighed and answered him, "Fine. Rollerblades. Every one of my friends asked for rollerblades, and everyone else got them that Chris...everyone except me."

"Chris, I'm so sorry," he apologized.

"It's okay. Sure, I was disappointed that Christmas when I didn't get those rollerblades, but I was thankful I was able to spend the holiday with my family."

"And I appreciate that a young Chris was able to learn the spirit of Christmas, but maybe we can teach the kids that next year," he suggested.

Chris rolled her eyes and pulled Street by their clasped hands towards the HQ entrance. "You are unbelievable," she said.

"You love me," he said sweetly and kissed her cheek before letting go of her hand and walking towards the locker room.

—————-

Hicks stood tentatively in the doorway of Chris' office.

Chris was seated at her desk, engrossed in her work. Finally, she felt someone's presence and looked up to make eye contact with her Commander.

"Hicks? What's up?" She asked curiously.

Hicks slowly walked into her office, shutting the door behind him. He nervously smoothed his tie as he drew closer to her desk.

"Chris, I...there's something I want to talk to you about," he began.

"Okay," she replied, unsure of what he was about to say. She set the pen down that she was holding and stared at him, willing him to continue.

"LAPD arrested these two people for robbery, and to make a deal, they've confessed that they're joining a crew whose plan is to rob the Los Angeles Air Force Base."

She snickered. "Robbing a military base? That's basically impossible."

"Basically, but not totally. I have a buddy that confirmed that there's a crew that's robbed 5 military bases of their heavy artillery and then sells it on the black market," Hicks said.

"Wait, seriously? How have we not heard about this?"

"The military has kept it a secret. You can imagine the embarrassing optics of this kind of problem for them."

"Yeah, guess you're right. So, where does SWAT come in?"

"LAPD Metro arrested the thieves who have given us the first lead on this crew ever, and SWAT has now been asked to go undercover to infiltrate the crew and finally put a stop to the military base thefts."