41. The Hospital

Chris answered the front door of her house.

"Thanks for coming, Buck," she said gratefully when she saw him on her doorstep.

"Not a problem. You know I love spending time with my grandkids...hi everyone!" Buck waved, regarding the family as he stepped inside.

"Hi, grandpa!" Bella greeted and ran over to Buck. He scooped the little girl into his arms.

"Morning, Bella," he replied and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Buck, seriously, thank you! Aunt Helena really had to help out a neighbor, and it all happened so last minute," Street began.

Buck pat Street on the shoulder and replied, "Don't sweat it, son. Enjoy your shift. The twins and I will have a lot of fun."

"Alright, let's go!" Chris directed as she grabbed hers and Street's bags before exiting the house.

Street took Bella out of Buck's arms and carried her out of the door. "See you later," Street said as he departed and shut the door behind him.

—————-

Street walked into Chris' office to find her sitting on her couch reviewing paperwork.

"Morning drills were brutal. You shoulda been out there," Street said and walked over to sit on the couch next to Chris.

She set the paperwork down on the coffee table before turning her body to face her husband.

"I would have preferred that over these budgets I had to review," she groaned and rubbed her temple.

He took her hand and squeezed it. She let out a deep breath and repositioned herself to put her head in his lap. He ran a hand through her hair.

"We're serving a warrant for a raid later. Maybe you can come with," Street offered.

"I've got so much work to do here, amor. I really should stay, besides, we don't normally roll out mobile command for an FBI raid," she replied, sadly.

"Just wishful thinking I guess. You know I feel safer when you have my back out there," he reminded.

"You've got all of 20 Squad behind you. You won't even miss me," she answered.

He took her hand and kissed it. "I know you're right."

Chris looked up at Street and studied his face. She saw that he genuinely wished she could be there.

"You should probably review the raid information, and I should probably get back to work," she suggested but didn't move.

"Can we just stay like this for a few more minutes?" He sighed.

Chris shut her eyes while still snuggled up on his lap.

The couple drifted off to sleep on the couch and woke up with a start when they heard a knock on the door.

"Hey, it's time to roll out," Deacon called from the hallway and smiled at the sight.

Chris quickly sat up straight to allow Street to leave. He kissed her forehead before turning to get up from the couch, but she reached for his chin to bring his face back to hers. She kissed him on the lips quickly and smiled. He grinned back and then stood up. Chris watched him exit her office before going back to work.

—————-

Chris stood beside Hicks in eagle's nest with crossed arms and a furrowed brow. Over the radio, all she could hear was gunfire as 20 Squad had been ambushed on their raid. From what she could hear, there were far more gunmen with heavy fire power than the FBI had indicated when they requested SWAT's support.